Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Is Gearing Up For Stretch, Planning A Future Roadmap

Phoronix: Debian Is Gearing Up For Stretch, Planning A Future Roadmap

Debian project leader Mehdi Dogguy has written a status update concerning the work going on for the first two months of 2017...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    Enjoy a super stable default desktop. Ready for Wayland. Ready for enterprise use.

Oh and one of the lesser desktops can even show bouncing balls, if you are lucky.
    Is your life so pathetic that you have to heighten your self esteem by the desktop environment you use? Sad boy!

Comment

What's the ETA for the release? How well did the "always releasable testing" approach work out? Last freeze was quite shorter than the one before that (which was way too long, almost half a year). I hope Debian won't drag it this time as well.

Comment

Extremely stable, however the upgrade path from Jessie is not exactly smooth (reproduced on 4 different machines, they all had BPO and debian-multimedia repos). Some translations are still missing, but nothing critical.

If you use NVidia hardware w/ blobs and KDE you must disable the "allow apps to disable compositing" option and set the "keep window thumbnails" option to "always". Wayland does not work w/ NVidia blob at all, does not a satisfying rendering w/ Radeon FOSS driver, but it works on Intel driver.

Comment

I am looking forward to upgrade my servers to the Stretch stable, and can't wait to continue to be running testing on my desktop
          Debian is great, tons of packages to choose from and it just works!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Would it have snap packages? The biggest problem with LTS distros is outdated software

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
              Would it have snap packages? The biggest problem with LTS distros is outdated software
              ?SYNTAX ERROR
              This does not make sense. Debian provides bugfixes and updates for the stable versions periodically. Most importantly security updates.
              If you need something a tad more bleeding edge you can always run Debian testing which may be a bit outdated during the freeze , but will in all other seasons provide you with fresh fruit that may or may not have bugs crawling in them.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Why would they prefer Snap over Flatpak? It's not like Canonical encourage other distributions to use it, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  What's the ETA for the release?
                  There was never ETA for Debian Stable release just quando paratus est or Zero number of RC bugs Which unofficially means... anything in between 3 to 6 months of Freeze. Where less then 3 months never happened or impossible and more then 6 months possible but too much - so anything in between is considered fine
                  Last edited by dungeon; 12 March 2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

I don't really consider anything above 3 months fine. It's already too long. The goal was to reduce it even to less than 3 months.

Comment

Working...
                    X