X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DragonFlyBSD 4.8 Up To Release Candidate Phase

Phoronix: DragonFlyBSD 4.8 Up To Release Candidate Phase

DragonFlyBSD 4.8 will be coming soon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Glad to see that alternatives to Windows and Linux still us under development!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
      Glad to see that alternatives to Windows and Linux still us under development!
      Are you implying that you thought FreeBSD, OpenBSD, DragonFlyBSD, Haiku, Illumos (OpenSolaris), etc, were all abandoned?

Comment

Originally posted by flubba86 View Post
        Are you implying that you thought FreeBSD, OpenBSD, DragonFlyBSD, Haiku, Illumos (OpenSolaris), etc, were all abandoned?
        I think it's actually a fair point, in a way. FreeBSD is certainly alive and well, but the rest? IMHO OpenBSD is not suitable as a general-purpose OS. It's perfect for a narrow range of applications, but I don't regard it as an alternative to Windows or Linux any more than say Cisco-IOS. DragonflyBSD honestly hasn't got much to offer that other systems don't already do better. Haiku, with all due respect, is a toy project. Illumos is basically hoping to save the dead open-source branch of a now-dead OS. So all in all, Mac aside, the only serious and fully-capable alternative to Windows and Linux is FreeBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I think it's actually a fair point, in a way. FreeBSD is certainly alive and well, but the rest? IMHO OpenBSD is not suitable as a general-purpose OS. It's perfect for a narrow range of applications, but I don't regard it as an alternative to Windows or Linux any more than say Cisco-IOS. DragonflyBSD honestly hasn't got much to offer that other systems don't already do better. Haiku, with all due respect, is a toy project. Illumos is basically hoping to save the dead open-source branch of a now-dead OS. So all in all, Mac aside, the only serious and fully-capable alternative to Windows and Linux is FreeBSD.
          While I agree that Haiku is not a general-purpose OS yet, it's getting a lot more mature lately. The built-in web browser is now almost modern standards compliant, there's a package manager, you can run Qt applications (although you could already run them for years, but it has seen some improvements lately). So yes, it's getting a lot better. It just needs better drivers, esp. network drivers (good lucking getting WiFi to work on a modern machine!). They're slowly getting there.

Comment

Have they discovered distributed version control yet? Last I heard, the BSDs were still a bit suspicious of this new-fangled SVN thing.

Comment

Originally posted by flubba86 View Post
              Not at all, I'm happy that all of them exist

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Working...
              X