Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VK9 Hits New Milestones In Implementing Direct3D 9 Over Vulkan

Phoronix: VK9 Hits New Milestones In Implementing Direct3D 9 Over Vulkan

VK9, the project implementing Direct3D 9 on top of the Khronos Vulkan graphics API, has hit two new milestones...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

DirectX 9 is from December 2002. Over 14 years old.
    Are there any plans for DirectX 10, 11 and 12?

Comment

Quite a few games still make use of it. For learning the ropes and demonstrating the concept something simpler is always better.
      Same is true for gallium-nine.

Comment

I think in order to do DX11 and 12 you need to start with DX9 because its one continuous feature set, DX10/11/12 just add to it basically from my understanding. Plus with this VK support over DX9 it might open to door to better threading for the DX9 games? maybe a potential hidden performance boost?

Comment

It might have a better chance of being included in Wine, as the WineHQ people could no longer say its too Linux specific.

I also still hope for OpenGL over Vulkan. Even if its 10% slower than native, its still easier to maintain than driver specific and can be used on other OSes or even in Wine.

You'd only have to port (e.g. for the *BSDs) the much lighter Vulkan driver between OSes and HW revisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevelyan View Post
            It might have a better chance of being included in Wine, as the WineHQ people could no longer say its too Linux specific.
            Yes they can, Vulkan isn't on MacOS. Apple has no intention of developing a Vulkan driver nor do they let anyone else write a Vulkan driver. This may have a better time trying to get into Wine than Gallium9 on the case that it can also work across the proprietary drivers, but we would still be looking at Linux specific code which is something the Wine devs wanted to avoid where possible.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              I think in order to do DX11 and 12 you need to start with DX9 because its one continuous feature set, DX10/11/12 just add to it basically from my understanding. Plus with this VK support over DX9 it might open to door to better threading for the DX9 games? maybe a potential hidden performance boost?
              I doubt that, really. DX12 is supposed to be as different from DX11 as Vulkan is from OpenGL. Previous DX versions are largely incremental though

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

Yes they can, Vulkan isn't on MacOS. Apple has no intention of developing a Vulkan driver nor do they let anyone else write a Vulkan driver. This may have a better time trying to get into Wine than Gallium9 on the case that it can also work across the proprietary drivers, but we would still be looking at Linux specific code which is something the Wine devs wanted to avoid where possible.
                Thats why. I once wrote a Tutorial for a game that took me over an hour on the WINE-page to write, everywhere I get told "please contribute to our database" and then it gets gutted because my WINE-version was used with gallium-9 support. I don't hate WINE, but that story scared me away from contributing anything ever again to their database. They want vanilla-entries, well bad luck, I'm using gallium-9.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

I doubt that, really. DX12 is supposed to be as different from DX11 as Vulkan is from OpenGL. Previous DX versions are largely incremental though
                  If memory serves, DX12 reuses the shader binary format of DX11, so a DX11 implementation can partially be reused with DX12.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
                    It would also help with their Android support, which I think is more important to codeweavers' bottom line.

Comment

Working...
                    X