Pidgin 2.12 Instant Messenger Client Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pidgin 2.12 Instant Messenger Client Released

Phoronix: Pidgin 1.12 Instant Messenger Client Released, Drops Yahoo & Facebook XMPP

The Pidgin instant messenger client has seen its first release in nine months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So... what can it be used for these days? I loved Pidgin when it connected me to YM and GTalk at the same time. But these days IM itself seems to be dying, to be replaced by SMS/Whatsapp and social media.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      So... what can it be used for these days? I loved Pidgin when it connected me to YM and GTalk at the same time. But these days IM itself seems to be dying, to be replaced by SMS/Whatsapp and social media.
      Telegram is for me the natural replacement of the old IM protocols and clients. Open, perfect synchronization between PC and phone, mature crossplatform desktop client, etc ...

Comment

@Michael: article name says 1.12 in the text is 2.12 everywhere.

Comment

I still use Pidgin for XMPP at work. I use it for my personal XMPP server too but I almost never get contacted through it these days. I'm not even sure half the contacts are receiving my messages. I'm not sure if it's because of Hangouts not being compatible, Gmail squirrelling the messages away where they won't see them, or them ignoring messages arriving on their phones. Or maybe they just don't like me any more.

Comment

Originally posted by vickop View Post

Telegram is for me the natural replacement of the old IM protocols and clients. Open, perfect synchronization between PC and phone, mature crossplatform desktop client, etc ...
            Telegram isn't open. The clients are, but the sensitive parts aren't. Just getting facts right here, it's not like YM, GTalk or FB Mess were/are open either.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
              I still use Pidgin for XMPP at work. I use it for my personal XMPP server too but I almost never get contacted through it these days. I'm not even sure half the contacts are receiving my messages. I'm not sure if it's because of Hangouts not being compatible, Gmail squirrelling the messages away where they won't see them, or them ignoring messages arriving on their phones. Or maybe they just don't like me any more.
              Hangouts on mobile has serious issues. I've experienced messages arriving up to 30 minutes late, my sister often gets no notification when she has an incoming message. I don't know what's going on.

Comment

There are some plugins for additional networks, but most of them are third-party.
                Such as:
                • Steam
                • Telegram
                • TorChat
                • WhatsApp

But it would be better if it had official support for these.
                Also no support at all for:
                • Kik
                • Viber
                • WeChat

Comment

Telegram isn't open. The clients are, but the sensitive parts aren't. Just getting facts right here, it's not like YM, GTalk or FB Mess were/are open either.
                  I think Singal is more open?

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                    Pidgin works with hangouts or more precisely it works as long as you are not using group chat on hangouts (i.e. Peer-to-Peer chats only). If someone is talking to you via hangouts in a group chat pidgin will not receive the notifications.
                    In any case everything points out to Hangouts being terminated sometime in the future and being replaced by whatever new thing Google is planning (Allo and whatever) so in the future the point will be moot because neither XMPP nor Hangouts will work anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X