Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MATE 1.18 Desktop Released, Finished Porting To GTK3

Phoronix: MATE 1.18 Desktop Released, Finished Porting To GTK3

MATE 1.18 is now available as the latest version of this GNOME2-forked open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

wow, they got it ported to gtk3 before xfce , now I'm waiting for xfce so it is wayland ready

Comment

Looking forward to try it when it gets on arch or manjaro unstable. The best feature, in my opinion, is libinput support (surprisingly xfce got this first) which is needed especially for arch and fedora future releases.

I really wish to see the xfce and the mate teams working together in order to implement a new light wayland compositor suitable for both desktops. Gnome and KDE are much ahead on this area and if any of these small teams tries to get its own compositor it will probably need more than 4 years development (maybe libweston can help here??).

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
        wow, they got it ported to gtk3 before xfce , now I'm waiting for xfce so it is wayland ready
        Gtk3 is only one part of it, they still have to make a Wayland compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by TingPing View Post

I guess they can adapt mutter.

I hope MATE 1.18 is available in Ubuntu 17.04, MATE 1.16 on 16.04 is great!

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

I guess they can adapt mutter.
            I have a feeling they don't want to depend upon upstream gnome, so they would probably either fork it or just make their own (maybe off another library).

Comment

Originally posted by TingPing View Post
              Not only that. Most people seem to think that porting to a Wayland-capable toolkit is all it takes to get your code running on Wayland. But while that's an essential first step, because while the toolkit might support Wayland, that doesn't mean your code isn't full of X11 stuff that needs replacing. Gtk3 provided APIs allowing developers to write apps that were more independent of the specific display, but someone still needs to start using them.

And yes, for a desktop, you've got the desktop itself to worry about... the task of replacing the classic X11 window manager with a compositor. That's not a small piece of work.

Comment

Still got a real soft spot for MATE. If it gets Wayland support I'd be in heaven.

Comment

Still not Wayland support, what a pity...
                  After all, full GTK3 support, that's a good new.

Comment

So they needed 6 years from forking names of unmaintained Gnome 2 to now actually using what Gnome 3 uses... changing GUI libs must be major fucking pain in the ass

Comment

Working...
                    X