Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 5 CPUs Launching Next Month, 4 & 6 Core Options

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 5 CPUs Launching Next Month, 4 & 6 Core Options

AMD has confirmed that Ryzen 5 CPUs will begin shipping on 11 April...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Damn it, I had hard time deciding which Ryzen 7 to choose now this. I wonder what's the OC potential. 8 threads *should* be enough for my VMs but 16 wouldn't hurt. I don't know what to do, cheez.

Comment

Originally posted by killyou View Post
      Damn it, I had hard time deciding which Ryzen 7 to choose now this. I wonder what's the OC potential. 8 threads *should* be enough for my VMs but 16 wouldn't hurt. I don't know what to do, cheez.
      As much as you like: http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-proces...4-ln2-cooling/

Comment

I expect these are the really interesting CPUs, not the Ryzen 7. At least for home use, a Ryzen 5 should be more than enough.
        Edit: I've been spending in the $200-250 range for my CPU for years. If Ryzen 5 is as good as it seems to be, I may start getting away with less
        Last edited by bug77; 16 March 2017, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Does anyone know whether core performance, assuming clocks are the same, will be equal between Ryzen 5 and 7? I might be ok with overclocked Ryzen 1700 but Ryzen 5 1600X looks promising as well.

Comment

Originally posted by killyou View Post
            Does anyone know whether core performance, assuming clocks are the same, will be equal between Ryzen 5 and 7? I might be ok with overclocked Ryzen 1700 but Ryzen 5 1600X looks promising as well.
            There are already some simulated benckmarks around the web just google it.

Comment

Michael, please please please get 6Xcore, more expensive one, since this one so far is most relevant to gamers. It seems it will have highest clock speed of all CPU's.
              Hence has potential of being a sweet spot. I am in dire need of upgrade and looking at inexpensive option. My older FX6350 is just not good enough anymore.

Comment

The R5 1600X for 249$ seems really a good bargain!

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post
                  The R5 1600X for 249$ seems really a good bargain!
                  Imho, that's the worst option. For $249 you can get a higher clocked Intel part that will be faster in 90% of the things you throw at it (because of better per-core performance). Lower priced parts is where it's at for Ryzen 5.

Comment

For the sake of the people buying these things I hope that motherboard vendors have been able to sort out the worst bugs out of their BIOSes by then not to mention distros and the mainline kernel supporting these things better.

The motherboard for my Ryzen machine arrived the day before yesterday and I've been tearing my figurative hair out with the machine since then. Not only would it not even boot initially, sound over HDMI is bugged to hell and sounds like those voice scramblers in Oblivion (thou I can get perfectly good sound out the headphone jack for some reason), the only temperature sensors that work are the ones in the GPU, the BIOS is rough to say the least and don't even get me started on the bugs in Ubuntu 17.04 daily builds (in hindsight I should probably have just gone for Beta 1 and not this Monday's daily build).

As for the BIOS roughness, I've never seen a BIOS go into a bootloop of it's own. All I did was try to bump up the RAM from the stock to 2666 MHz and the machine would go into a cycle where it would boot, spin up the fans at max for a few seconds, spin them down, shut down and then repeat all of this ad nauseam until I shut it down by hand and removed the CMOS battery for a short while to reset the BIOS. After this it first allowed me to go into the BIOS only to get stuck on a message saying that the BIOS had been reset and then didn't even allow me to go into the BIOS settings.

I suspect I may have not had the CMOS battery out for long enough so I'll try that later today.

Comment

Working...
                    X