Trying Out LLVM 4.0's LLD Linker On Ubuntu 17.04 vs. GNU LD, GNU Gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out LLVM 4.0's LLD Linker On Ubuntu 17.04 vs. GNU LD, GNU Gold

Phoronix: Trying Out LLVM 4.0's LLD Linker On Ubuntu 17.04 vs. GNU LD, GNU Gold

With this week's LLVM 4.0 release making the LLD linker ready for production use on some platforms, namely ELF on x86_64 / AArch64, I decided to finally try it out on one of my test systems. I set LLD as the default linker on an Ubuntu 17.04 system and set off to run some benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it make any difference in kernel link times?
    Does it even work linking the kernel?

Comment

Is there any sort of LTO with LLD? How would different linkers compare binary performance-side?

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
        Is there any sort of LTO with LLD? How would different linkers compare binary performance-side?
        LLD supports LTO. With these tests, there weren't any difference in the generated binary performance, hence why I didn't bother including those numbers.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

it will also be interesting to clang + lld
          lld seems very good but it still has to improve

Comment

What about memory consumption ?

Comment

Try comparing Clang-LLD vs. GCC-LLD.

Comment

You said in the beginning of the article that you would test gold both out of the box, and with --threads. Which one is in the graphs and where is the other?

Comment

Michael could you test impact of building kernel, xorg and mesa on recent CPUs with -march=native via gcc and llvm. It may be interesting, how many fps you will get by use of compiler optimization, since repo packages is built with -march=generic.

You may just use Gentoo, or recent ubuntu + some packages from source.
                  Last edited by yurikoles; 16 March 2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

it can be faster, or slower, or fail. i'd call it alpha quality

Comment

Working...
                    X