Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway 0.12 Wayland Compositor Released

Phoronix: Sway 0.12 Wayland Compositor Released

Sway 0.12 was released earlier this month as the newest feature update to this i3-compatible Wayland compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Redshift support is something I didn't realize how much I missed in Wayland, until it landed in Sway Git a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
      Redshift support is something I didn't realize how much I missed in Wayland, until it landed in Sway Git a while back.
      GNOME has a built-in "night light" in 2.24 that works on Wayland.

Comment

Do you mean 3.24? In that case, I don't have that yet! :P

Comment

I haven't kept up to date with sway for months, due to not having a wayland-capable system for a while to run it on.

(also, this is a very very bad thing, considering I am supposed to be the maintainer of the sway and wlc gentoo packages ... and I kinda abandoned them...)

I remember there was a nasty XWayland bug in wlc, that caused menus and tooltips (unmanaged windows) in X programs to only show once and then never show again until restarting the program. Does anyone know if that has been fixed? Back when I tried sway many months ago, that bug made it pretty much unusable for me...

My new laptop can do wayland, and I am thinking of getting back into sway if this bug is fixed.

Even if not, I should probably go and fix/update the gentoo packages I am supposed to be maintaining ...

Comment

Someone figured out that building wlc as "Upstream" rather than "Release" fixed the problem, and seemingly since then the cause has been figured out because the bug is gone for me with my current Release build.

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
              For me it was the other way around. I didn't realize how much I would miss it until I was on Sway. Glad it's there now :-)

Comment

redshift is such an evil hack to rely on. How hard could it be for monitors to implement a sensor for automatic backlight control and possibly gamma control. I mean redshift could be even more useful it should not only get geolocation but also a weather report and it should also be connected to your windows and curtains. In fact it should be required by law to protect your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
                  I haven't kept up to date with sway for months, due to not having a wayland-capable system for a while to run it on.

(also, this is a very very bad thing, considering I am supposed to be the maintainer of the sway and wlc gentoo packages ... and I kinda abandoned them...)
                  I'm about to try out sway again... Please update the ebuilds.

Comment

So what are your recommendations for a good terminal emulator to use under Sway? Under i3 I use st, and I know that there is a wayland port of st for wlc, but I don't know if this is well maintained or good.

I am entertaining the idea to go a bit more bloated and try to do some sort of sway/plasma hybrid, which would mean full screen Konsole as wayland terminal and perhaps krunner instead of dmenu.

Comment

Working...
                    X