Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.11-rc3 Released

Phoronix: Linux 4.11-rc3 Released

The third weekly test release to the Linux 4.11 kernel is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good work, perhaps it's time to abandon x86 platform so to save time and code lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      Good work, perhaps it's time to abandon x86 platform so to save time and code lines.
      <irony>
      yeah lets just bash every pc to save code lines
      best idea ever
      </irony>

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

<irony>
        yeah lets just bash every pc to save code lines
        best idea ever
        </irony>
        I agree it's the best idea ever.
        Above all because 32bit programs can run also in 64bit operating systems.

Comment

x86 platform is shared beetwen 32 and 64 bit
          if you are refering to drop 32-bit only parts that seems more logical
          altough i think its too soon to drop 32-bit

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
            x86 platform is shared beetwen 32 and 64 bit
            if you are refering to drop 32-bit only parts that seems more logical
            altough i think its too soon to drop 32-bit
            yes, I mean just that.

Comment

@Azrael5 Why drop code that just works? There is systems or programs without support of x86_64. Or users/admins that just doesn't want their system to have a bunch of libs shipping 2 times on a system with low ram and/or disk space.

@me have feeling like I feeds the troll.
              Last edited by yurikoles; 20 March 2017, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Platform specific code is #ifdef'd. They can add support for three million more platforms and it won't affect the code compiled into the kernel you run on your platform. The kernel won't be any different. It won't perform differently. It won't compile any faster.

They can add 10 billions more of line code to support more platforms and they won't affect you because they won't end up in your compiled kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post

Platform specific code is #ifdef'd. They can add support for three million more platforms and it won't affect the code compiled into the kernel you run on your platform. The kernel won't be any different. It won't perform differently. It won't compile any faster.

They can add 10 billions more of line code to support more platforms and they won't affect you because they won't end up in your compiled kernel.
                  Ok but saving time for useless code make the job more efficient.

Comment

Ok but saving time for useless code make the job more efficient.
                    What do you mean by saving time?
                    Each part of the kernel has different maintainers.

Comment

Working...
                    X