Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Airlie Tackling RADV Vulkan Conformance

Phoronix: David Airlie Tackling RADV Vulkan Conformance

RADV co-founder David Airlie at Red Hat has begun focusing on the Vulkan conformance test suite for furthering along this open-source Radeon driver's conformance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The more RADV advances, more bigger the elephant in the room becomes. Do you people remember the Suse effort to build a opensource driver for ATI/AMD?

I remember Bridgman saying something about utilizing RADV code to complement what they will release, but if things continue to this pace, RADV will become so big that there will be a lot of butt-hurt when AMD launch their own opensource driver, similar to the Suse ATI driver affair.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      when AMD launch their own opensource driver
      is there guarantee that it will happen?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        if things continue to this pace, RADV will become so big that there will be a lot of butt-hurt when AMD launch their own opensource driver
        Thats already the case. Even if AMD releases the amdgpu-pro-vulkan(APV) code NOW we have a redhat and a valve working on radv with the community.
        Things would be this way: grab some usefull code parts from APV and integrate them in RADV.

Why I thing the APV cant be go to Mesa? Because of the review process! We have a working solution for vulkan on amdgpu in mesa. The majority would not have any interest in reviewing the whole APV driver and clean this one up.

TL;DR
        AMDGPU-Pro-Vulkan will stay an "external package" forever, because there is no need - and so - low interest in integrate them to mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

Thats already the case. Even if AMD releases the amdgpu-pro-vulkan(APV) code NOW we have a redhat and a valve working on radv with the community.
          Things would be this way: grab some usefull code parts from APV and integrate them in RADV.

Why I thing the APV cant be go to Mesa? Because of the review process! We have a working solution for vulkan on amdgpu in mesa. The majority would not have any interest in reviewing the whole APV driver and clean this one up.

TL;DR
          AMDGPU-Pro-Vulkan will stay an "external package" forever, because there is no need - and so - low interest in integrate them to mesa.
          AMD should focus more on OpenCL for Linux. They should opensource it (It will likely never happen) or at least create a binary compatible with the opensource driver. With multiGPU getting in Vulkan the only big thing left is OpenCL.

Comment

It is probably relevant to ask bridgman directly: Are there any updates on AMDs plans to open source the AMDGPU Pro Vulkan driver?

Comment

Pretty good progress considering how long it has been in development. Though lately, it almost seems Vulkan is gaining features quicker than RADV can comply with them.

Also, does anybody know a place where I can find out which GPUs RADV supports? Last I heard, only GCN 1.2 and up were supported but I can't seem to find any solid proof as to which GPUs are currently supported.

It'll be interesting to see what happens first - RADV's completion or AMD open-sourcing their Vulkan drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post

AMD should focus more on OpenCL for Linux. They should opensource it (It will likely never happen) or at least create a binary compatible with the opensource driver. With multiGPU getting in Vulkan the only big thing left is OpenCL.
                Hm...I thought this is exactly what they did with the last amdgpu-pro when they made it possible to install only the compute part...in arch (which I am running, it has found it's way to AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/opencl-amd/)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  does anybody know a place where I can find out which GPUs RADV supports?
                  Everything that has AMDGPU (kernel) support, also has RADV support. I'm can run

Code:
                  #! /bin/bash

cd ~
                  mkdir Vulkan
                  cd Vulkan
                  wget -c http://vulkan.gpuinfo.org/downloads/examples/vulkan_examples_linux_x64.tar.gz
                  wget -c http://vulkan.gpuinfo.org/downloads/examples/vulkan_examples_mediapack.7z

tar xf ./vulkan_examples_linux_x64.tar.gz
                  7z x ./vulkan_examples_mediapack.7z

mv ./vulkan_examples_data/data ./
                  rm -r ./vulkan_examples_data ./vulkan_examples_mediapack.7z ./vulkan_examples_linux_x64.tar.gz

cd ./bin
                  ./bloom
                  On any of my GPU and APU while enable AMDGPU experimental support. From GCN1.0 up

Comment

I'm really wondering if it's good that RADV exists? As to be honest - the AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan driver is much more complete, performs better, but needs improvement/feedback from RedHat and Valve, but they are focusing on RADV as AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan part is not opensourced and... with RADV there is no pressure on AMD to opensource it. They might probably not opensource it at all and say - here you have RADV. Ok, but lets assume they opensource it and now what? All the work on RADV would go to trash?

Comment

Working...
                    X