140 Patches Posted To Wire Up Radeon RX Vega In RadeonSI Gallium3D Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 140 Patches Posted To Wire Up Radeon RX Vega In RadeonSI Gallium3D Driver

Phoronix: 140 Patches Posted To Wire Up Radeon RX Vega In RadeonSI Gallium3D Driver

After Alex Deucher sent out 100 patches giving the AMDGPU kernel driver Radeon RX Vega support, AMD's Mesa expert Marek Olšák sent out 140 patches for adding this next-generation GPU support to their RadeonSI Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    since geometry shaders and tesellation
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    include support in Gallum3D for the new

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Typos:

Thanks
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Damn, those are quite a few patches. Now we know what Marek was busy with lately. I might be misremembering but the Vega bring-up seems to invole much more changes as were neccessary for e.g. polaris support, so Vega most likely introduces substantial changes to the architecture.
        Also llvm >= 5.0 required which means out-of-the-box support is a long time down the road.

Comment

Fall distros will most likely have support for these beasts, and we have linux code in the wild 2 month before hardware launch. Even if you have to pick packages from the right ppas for quite some stack componenents if you are going to be an early adopter, screens won't stay dark. I think this is all rather promising, thanks AMD for treating linux as a first class citizen!

Comment

What do addrlib is used for? Does it improve performance, maintainability of the driver/texture operations?

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
              What do addrlib is used for? Does it improve performance, maintainability of the driver/texture operations?
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

I've read it, but couldn't grasp a use-case for this by reading the article, it like when I read about register spilling and got great answers/use-case from the devs :P

Comment

Primarily maintainability. It's another "sharing code written by the HW teams" thing.

The specifics vary between hardware generations, but it encapsulates things like memory tiling, texture formatting etc...
                  Test signature

Comment

Aren't they a lot more concerned with getting this together for their workstation products based on Vega's architecture and we are just the very excited guinea pigs?

Comment

Working...
                    X