Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android O Developer Preview Released

Phoronix: Android O Developer Preview Released

The first public developer preview is now available for Google's upcoming Android "O" operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    wide-gamut color support fpr apps,

Comment

The AAudio low latency audio api could be interesting, i wonder how well it would work on regular linux desktops.

Comment

Developers will love Java 8. We've been asking for this for years. It's not something users will see though.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
          The AAudio low latency audio api could be interesting, i wonder how well it would work on regular linux desktops.
          Probably like total crap, same as Android x86.

Comment

Android (just like Windows and iOS) is shit. The ecosystem is full of software with adware, spy on its users, freemium.
            It doesn't have a great free open source software ecosystem like Linux.

Comment

One anecdote from the last time I dealt with Android: it was an Amazon tablet with FireOS. What annoyed me to no end was that you need to log in to Amazon to do *anything* on the thing. As an administrator, not a user, why should I do that? Why can't I just install apps without logging into anything? So I overwrote it with CyanogenMod... jut to find out that I can't do anything on it until I log into Google on it!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                One anecdote from the last time I dealt with Android: it was an Amazon tablet with FireOS. What annoyed me to no end was that you need to log in to Amazon to do *anything* on the thing. As an administrator, not a user, why should I do that?
                You are not an administrator in an Android device until you either hack it or flash CM.

Neither you are on an iDevice or MSPhone, for that matter.

Why can't I just install apps without logging into anything?
                Most Android devices allow you to install applications you downloaded manually by enabling a setting, afaik Amazon devices should also allow this. http://www.androidauthority.com/how-...le-fire-35976/

So I overwrote it with CyanogenMod... jut to find out that I can't do anything on it until I log into Google on it!
                Wat? Vanilla CM does not come with Google Apps by default so you did something wrong somewhere. Maybe you downloaded an unofficial CM with Gapps preinstalled (most common on XDA)?

Also I'm pretty sure you can just avoid logging in with Google on first boot with Android 4.0 to 5.0 (later didn't test).

Too much easy things were done wrong, I suspect malicious intent here.
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 21 March 2017, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Android free software will take off once Android developer studio can run on Android devices, there's an anonymously accessible repository for free software, with apt-get source and dbuild support. Hopefully Android O can start this process with the keyboard support.

Comment

Originally posted by eigenlambda View Post
                    Android free software will take off once Android developer studio can run on Android devices, there's an anonymously accessible repository for free software, with apt-get source and dbuild support. Hopefully Android O can start this process with the keyboard support.
                    Android always supported keyboards and mice, this is just a "better navigation with keyboard" update.

There is already F-Droid appstore for FOSS apps, and you don't want to compile apps, nor run ADS on weak devices like phones and tablets.

Comment

Working...
                    X