Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.24 Released With Night Light Mode, Maps Navigation & More

Phoronix: GNOME 3.24 Released With Night Light Mode, Maps Navigation & More

Matthias Clasen has just announced the official release of GNOME 3.24, codenamed Portland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    Nice features! The only desktop to truly migrate to Wayland and provide enterprise quality, stability and security.
    Sarcasm?

Comment

The Wayland experience on GNOME 3 seems in a good shape, but I really dislike the lack of customizations, like a fully configurable panel as it was in GNOME 2...
      Some extensions look like hacks, need native features. Too many extensions are broken after major updates.

BTW, what is the new step? GNOME 3.26 or GNOME 4.0?

Comment

Originally posted by Kibou View Post
        Sarcasm?
        Maybe he has good experiences with Gnome. In my case I have a lot of problems with it, starting with stupid random crashes and a fair share of bugs in the handling of multimonitor configs ( it forgets the disposition on wake from sleep and sometimes on reboot ). The Dash to Panel addon is brutally disabled ( I don't know why ) every now and then.

So yes, Gnome is not the best in terms of stability and quality. The real problem is that KDE is worse. I am seriously thinking to setup i3. It requires a bit of learning but people on the net say it is worth the effort.

Comment

They where supposed to revamp the settings app for .24. What happened to that?

Comment

Originally posted by Kibou View Post
            Sarcasm?
            More like a well-known strong GNOME supporter.

Comment

Originally posted by Xorg View Post
              The Wayland experience on GNOME 3 seems in a good shape, but I really dislike the lack of customizations, like a fully configurable panel as it was in GNOME 2...
              Some extensions look like hacks, need native features. Too many extensions are broken after major updates.

BTW, what is the new step? GNOME 3.26 or GNOME 4.0?
              Does gnome-flashback work well with Wayland? (I'm not sure if it works with mutter)

Also, I don't think they're going to line up the gtk version with GNOME anymore, as gtk is now on a much longer release cycle than GNOME.

GNOME 3.24 still targets gtk 3.22, I would think GNOME 3.26 would too, as gtk4 doesn't look like it's going to be released soon (I believe I read spring 2019 somewhere) and gtk 3.22 will be supported for "3+ years" (I assume 6 months after gtk4, i.e. autumn 2019).
              Last edited by Mystro256; 22 March 2017, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately for those who care about xwayland performance, gnome leaves a lot to be desired. Meanwhile, xwayland performance rocks and is night/day in kde. However, kde has no colord support for wayland, so there are two half-functional wayland desktops for many users (not to mention the fact that kde wayland is completely broken on qt 5.8 because of upstream breakage, but qtwebengine 5.7 is horribly broken and 5.8 is needed for a decent browsing experience).

And on the tiling side of things, many use wlc which has had the same bugs for over a year (eg disappearing mouse in select applications).

I still want to use wayland, unfortunately I can't use it all the time (or the same DE that is).

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

Does gnome-flashback work well with Wayland? (I'm not sure if it works with mutter)

Also, I don't think they're going to line up the gtk version with GNOME anymore, as gtk is now on a much longer release cycle than GNOME.

GNOME 3.24 still targets gtk 3.22, I would think GNOME 3.26 would too, as gtk4 doesn't look like it's going to be released soon (I believe I read spring 2019 somewhere) and gtk 3.22 will be supported for "3+ years" (I assume 6 months after gtk4, i.e. autumn 2019).
                  GNOME Flashback does not work with Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGalt View Post
                    Unfortunately for those who care about xwayland performance, gnome leaves a lot to be desired.
                    Might depend on drivers? It's not something I've been paying particular attention to, but given that pretty much anything other than native GNOME apps are running under XWayland still, I've not noticed any problem myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X