Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mir's Abstraction Layer Now Has Cut & Paste Support (MirAL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir's Abstraction Layer Now Has Cut & Paste Support (MirAL)

Phoronix: Mir's Abstraction Layer Now Has Cut & Paste Support (MirAL)

A few days ago we reported on Ubuntu's Mir now supporting drag and drop while now another important desktop feature has come to Ubuntu's Mir abstraction layer, MirAL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really hope they are putting a bit more engineering effort into their desktop environment that this article seems to imply...

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      I really hope they are putting a bit more engineering effort into their desktop environment that this article seems to imply...
      That's what I was about to say. What's the difference anyway, they will be using Wayland after couple of broken releases.

Comment

Or you can use GNOME on Wayland today which is much better and already works with copy-and-paste.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
          While libmiral is part of the desktop environment it is not involved in the cut & paste support: With Unity8 cut & paste is provided by the "content hub" service.

The miral-shell program is just an example of how to use libmiral, and is used to demonstrate its features. But it is not part of the production desktop environment and no-one has intentionally configured "content hub" to work with it.

Comment

Originally posted by killyou View Post

That's what I was about to say. What's the difference anyway, they will be using Wayland after couple of broken releases.
            I know there's an element of wilful ignorance involved here, but Wayland is a display server protocol, not a desktop environment (like Unity) or a even a display server (like mir).

The appropriate troll would be to assert that they will be using Gnome Shell after a couple of broken releases. Did you know Ubuntu GNOME has been a thing for a while, and still most typical users prefer Unity?

Comment

It's been so many years. Wayland compositors are shipping in commercial products, Wayland on the desktop (at least on mutter) is basically there, and Mir is still figuring out DnD and clipboards.

Comment

I previously made a decision that by 17.04 I'll make a switch from Unity 7, either to Unity 8 or to Gnome Wayland, whichever is released first. It's now all but confirmed that I'll be switching to Ubuntu Gnome.

Comment

>I know there's an element of wilful ignorance involved here

Describes most of America right now....

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post

I know there's an element of wilful ignorance involved here, but Wayland is a display server protocol, not a desktop environment (like Unity) or a even a display server (like mir).

The appropriate troll would be to assert that they will be using Gnome Shell after a couple of broken releases. Did you know Ubuntu GNOME has been a thing for a while, and still most typical users prefer Unity?
                    I feel like "most typical users" prefer a DE because it's default on their distro of choice and it's what they're used to using. Having a DE has a first priority on their distro helps adoption in multiple ways.

I don't think the lack of popularity of Ubuntu GNOME in comparison to Ubuntu (with Unity) is a good measure of "most typical users" preferring Unity.
                    Furthermore, I'm assuming you mean "most typical Ubuntu users", as it seems like Mint is much more popular than Ubuntu these days.

As well, trolls aside, if they were to abandon Mir efforts, I would think it's more likely that they would change their display server to use Wayland than switch back to GNOME.

Comment

Working...
                    X