Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out Unity 8 + Mir On Ubuntu 17.04

Phoronix: Trying Out Unity 8 + Mir On Ubuntu 17.04

Given there is just one month to go until the official Ubuntu 17.04 "Zesty Zapus" release and past the ordinary freezes and nearly at the final development milestones, I decided to take a test drive this morning of Unity 8 with Mir atop the latest daily Zesty packages.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That what happens when we reinvent the wheel, it seems not usable for users.
    The double toolbars is ugly, and the look of black toolbar proves Mir is a proof-of-concept. I don't talk about the rest.

Oh, yes, writing a new protocol was easier, why they should use Wayland? Too easy bro, ho ho.
    Please, let's continue yours projects Canonical, alone, staying in your own world, that's too funny.

[/Hater_post]

Comment

Evil Canonical daring to develop other free software that isn't from Gnome developers. How dare they!

Comment

If something wants to be default, it must be very stable, feature complete and reliable. Unity 8/Mir is far far away from this state! Compare this with Gnome/Wayland. I used it two releases before it has got default by Fedora. Despite being usable for so long, Fedora waited two releases, before being sure it was really stable and feature complete. Canonical is now two releases away from 18.04 (and using a shorter 6 month release cycle instead of 9 month like Fedora) and it is far from stable and feature complete!

Comment

Originally posted by Up123 View Post
          Evil Canonical daring to develop other free software that isn't from Gnome developers. How dare they!
          Are you saying Wayland is only for Gnome? I disagree. Wayland is a freedesktop.org project, and a lot of non-Gnome compositors use it.
          Mir is a Canonical project.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
            If something wants to be default, it must be very stable, feature complete and reliable. Unity 8/Mir is far far away from this state! Compare this with Gnome/Wayland. I used it two releases before it has got default by Fedora. Despite being usable for so long, Fedora waited two releases, before being sure it was really stable and feature complete. Canonical is now two releases away from 18.04 (and using a shorter 6 month release cycle instead of 9 month like Fedora) and it is far from stable and feature complete!
            Well, that is fine for you. For me Wayland and especially XWayland is not working properly under Gnome. And I only used it 2 days.

Comment

Mir crashes down to Earth in fireball of flames and bugs, this looks ugly.

Comment

Canonicals MIR project is an obvious mistake.
                It's interesting to see how long time it takes before they admit it.

Comment

Originally posted by Up123 View Post
                  We're not calling them evil... we're calling them incompetent. Their decision to try to do everything themselves instead of working with the wider community is hurting them - they announced back in 2013 that they'd be shipping Unity 8 on Mir as default within a year, but several years later, it's obvious that they're still at least another year away from being ready. And these are the same people who rejected Wayland in part because it was progressing too slowly...

Comment

As far as I remember, it took Gnome Wayland well over a year to move from being at the same level as Unity 8 is currently at to being the default in Fedora, hence I highly doubt that Canonical will manage to make Unity 8 the default for 18.04 which makes me sad as Ubuntu is the only distro that is working on convergence and proper support for phones.

Comment

Working...
                    X