Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Open-Sources Vulkan "Anvil"

Phoronix: AMD Open-Sources Vulkan "Anvil"

While waiting for AMD to open-source their Vulkan Linux driver, we have a new AMD open-source Vulkan project to look at: Anvil...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is the current state of play with open-sourcing the AMD Vulkan driver? Is it still something that's still going to happen or is the effort going to be switched to the RADV driver instead?

Comment

Wow. You can't call it that. Anvil is the Intel Vulkan driver. It's been shipping for a year now. Does noone Google?

This is going to cause a ton of confusion.
      Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
      Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
        Wow. You can't call it that. Anvil is the Intel Vulkan driver. It's been shipping for a year now. Does noone Google?

They called it Anvil nearly a year ago:

Anvil is a cross-platform framework for Vulkan. Contribute to GPUOpen-Archive/Anvil development by creating an account on GitHub.

I know that Intel's driver was already announced by then and they should have googled, but it wasn't as known as it is today. Still a stupid situation.

Comment

i guess we could call anv to intel vulkan driver

Comment

Compared to their decision to call AMDGPU multiple stuff, this is a minor thing.

Comment

Well Anvil reminds me on Ubisoft's game engine, they use that name for decade... so only who wants to be confused can be confused

Comment

Anvil is the Intel Vulkan driver
                Which makes me wonder, what makes the name "Anvil" so fascinating? A Ubisoft game engine called Anvil as well, and now not one but two Vulkan-related projects use the name.

To be fair though, I've only seen Intel's Vulkan driver referred to as anv rather than Anvil, and most people will probably just call it "Intel's Vulkan driver". I can see why you're upset though.

Comment

It's as if AMD had a special Department of Poor and Confusing Names, that they consult before every release...

Comment

They can call it whatever the hell they want. It's an open source project. No one give's a rat's a$$ that Intel's code name for their Vulkan driver is Anvil. More to the point, Vulkan is a product whose origins comes from AMD not Intel.

Comment

Working...
                    X