Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.04 Still Hasn't Landed X.Org Server 1.19

Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.04 Still Hasn't Landed X.Org Server 1.19

While the Ubuntu 17.04 final release is expected to happen in just over two weeks and the final freeze is quickly approaching, X.Org Server 1.19 has yet to land as anticipated into the Zesty Zapus...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I feel I will be a skeleton in a crypt before I can watch a video on Linux without tearing.

That being said, things have improved significantly in the last decade.

Comment

Oh wow, at least Timo Aaltonen sure seems to be doing stuff in order to get things worked out. Must be the first time I've seen a maintainer fix bugs found himself rather than just passing them off to someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by wagaf View Post
        I feel I will be a skeleton in a crypt before I can watch a video on Linux without tearing.
        If compositor is handling vsync correctly, tearing should not be possible. For video, you should really give mpv a try if you haven't already. Seems by far the most sophisticated player on Linux with lots of active development.

Comment

With Ubuntu for years now no longer tearing issues, Nvidia on my desktop there is no tearing, on my notebook Amd there's no tearing. These problems maybe we are still with Xfce, but not with Unity 7 e 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
            With Ubuntu for years now no longer tearing issues, Nvidia on my desktop there is no tearing, on my notebook Amd there's no tearing. These problems maybe we are still with Xfce, but not with Unity 7 e 8.
            Definitely still some tearing when watching on my TV through HDMI (Nvidia optimus laptop), however it's light tearing, nothing compared to what it was a year ago.

Comment

I know that Ubuntu 17.04 includes GNOME 3.24, and that the latter should work with Wayland on NVIDIA's proprietary driver. Has anybody here verified this?

Comment

Definitely still some tearing when watching on my TV through HDMI (Nvidia optimus laptop), however it's light tearing, nothing compared to what it was a year ago.
                I don't want to sound like a dick, but that's your problem, the Nvidia proprietary driver. Using AMD and Intel opensource drivers, with the compositing on, there is no tearing for me for a long time now.

However, I heard that's a option to force Vsync on the Nvidia proprietary driver, and that should fix the tearing in videos, at the cost of a few fps in games.

Comment

That being said, things have improved significantly in the last decade.
                  What graphics hardware/driver?

Typically these days there is no tearing if you are using a modern opengl compositor and/or a video player using gl output

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                    I've actually experienced a lot of tearing lately, but I think it might have something to do with my dual monitor setup, but it seems to only happen in video playing, not in games.

on Ubuntu 16.04 with Unity 7 and latest nVidia drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X