Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen DDR4 Memory Scaling Tests On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen DDR4 Memory Scaling Tests On Linux

This week MSI finally released an updated BIOS for the X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM that we've been using for a majority of our Ryzen Linux benchmarks. With that motherboard improving memory compatibility and allowing us to finally run the board at higher DDR4 memory clock frequencies, I've run some fresh AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Ubuntu Linux benchmarks at various memory frequencies.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's one of the better motherboards/vendors to go with for Ryzen right now?

Comment

The mobo/memory combination for Ryzen right now is a bit of a lottery, but the reward seems good. I watched a video on YT were a guy got a combination that allowed speeds past 3000MHz, and the results are good. The tests were the i7 7700k were in the advantage now are razor thin, not bad if we compare the huge clock advantage for the Intel CPU.

Last edited by M@GOid; 29 March 2017, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
        Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock(Especially the Taichi if you can find it).

If you get a high end one with the clock generator you can hit DDR4 3600, with Gskill 3600 CL15.

Comment

You should be able to get 3200 with 2933 profile after raising BCLK frequency a bit (if this particular motherboard supports it).

Comment

These are benchmarks I've been most interested to see on Linux, hopefully in a month or two, 3200 and 3600 will be possible without raising BCLK. Very interesting, So we do see around a 10% performance boost (in gaming at least) from 2133-> 2933. That seems to be inline with what others are reporting on windows.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
              The AB350 Pro4 works really well but it's not sure whether ECC really works with B350 chipsets. For ECC the Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 offers also an onboard debug led and 12 CPU phases for a very nice price. The overall PCB quality of these boards is pretty much the same, very nice but don't go cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                I tried to put the DIMMs in their "AMP" mode

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=24442

Does MSI refer to it as "AMP" Mode?

I thought they just call it A-XMP for "AMD-XMP". Because XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) is actually an Intel thing.

Comment

You should try an ASRock Taichi mobo

Comment

Who knows what the motherboard landscape will look like 6 months from now. BIOS are going to be getting major updates. Word on the street is that microcode for Rizen are going to need a few updates, so next-gen litho-architecture will flesh out the bugs about thread scheduling and such. So I'm going to wait. Already AMD is doing hyper-threading better than Intel, but there is no comparing microcode to litho. It's FPGA vs ASIC. Orders of magnitudes.

On the flip-side, I heard most iommu problems have been fixed.

Comment

Working...
                    X