Some Interesting RadeonSI vs. NVIDIA Results For An Upcoming Linux Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Interesting RadeonSI vs. NVIDIA Results For An Upcoming Linux Port

Phoronix: Some Interesting RadeonSI vs. NVIDIA Results For An Upcoming Linux Port

For Linux GPU driver junkies, here are some fresh NVIDIA vs. RadeonSI test results using Linux 4.11 and Mesa 17.1-dev as of this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Embargo?? Device 11264 new graphics card?

Comment

Originally posted by raonlinux View Post
      Embargo?? Device 11264 new graphics card?
      That's GTX 1080 Ti.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

oohh - a new shiny high end game look forward to it!

Comment

Hahaha - that's cool. I guess every port forces drivers to improve a bit. But as long as it helps in general it's a good thing... I'm excited of course what it will be.

Comment

Half Life 3 benchmarked!!!!

Comment

That's an out of the blue port. Excited to see whar it is

Comment

Originally posted by Kohrias View Post
                That's an out of the blue port. Excited to see whar it is
                Knowing how Aspyr releases their games on pretty darn short notices I wouldn't be all that surprised if it's one of their ports. Could also be Feral as they tend to go from announcement to release in a few weeks.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that it's one of these:
                Doom (ID used to make a lot of ports to OSX and Linux), Obduction (the new game from the developers of Myst which has an OSX port and a Linux port has been hinted at), Mafia III (already out on OSX), Ashes of the Singularity (getting Vulkan support soon-ish so a Linux port makes sense) or The Witcher 3 (people have been asking for a Linux port for a while and the previous game had one).

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Knowing how Aspyr releases their games on pretty darn short notices I wouldn't be all that surprised if it's one of their ports. Could also be Feral as they tend to go from announcement to release in a few weeks.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that it's one of these:
                  Doom (ID used to make a lot of ports to OSX and Linux), Obduction (the new game from the developers of Myst which has an OSX port and a Linux port has been hinted at), Mafia III (already out on OSX), Ashes of the Singularity (getting Vulkan support soon-ish so a Linux port makes sense) or The Witcher 3 (people have been asking for a Linux port for a while and the previous game had one).
                  I highly doubt this is a Vulkan game, Michael would at least have hinted at it, I think. So, probably not Doom (would have surprised me anyway, without John Carmack) or ashes of the singularity (I expect them to release a Windows-Vulkan version before starting their port).
                  I am not sure if we can expect one of the most high profile games without at least a bit of teasing. I am fully not expecting the Witcher 3 or Mafia III any time soon.

One could analyze the performance difference between nvidia and AMD to try to guess the porter, if it's one of the usual ones. That said, this direct collaboration with Michael (great thing, by the way) could indicate a new porter or a direct port.

We can also compare the absolute framerates with some other ports, and windows games, to try to guess the game. For example, Just Cause 3 *might* have framerates and a behavior close to Mad Max.
                  I am pretty sure I already saw the pattern on the last plot somewhere else...

It also looks like the game has automated benchmarks capabilities. I think that makes it more likely to be a native port, but I could be wrong.

Now, if someone with enough time and motivation could actually process this information... :P

In any case, a new port is good news!

Wishlist:
                  1. Skyrim
                  2. Skyrim
                  3. Rise of the Tomb Raider
                  4. Skyrim
                  [...]

Comment

We already know about Observer and Innerspace from Aspyr, but it would be strange to have an embargo on the name of something we already know...
                    Maybe Feral then?

Comment

Working...
                    X