Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI OpenGL vs. RADV Vulkan Performance For Mad Max

Phoronix: RadeonSI OpenGL vs. RADV Vulkan Performance For Mad Max

Feral Interactive today released their first Linux ported game into public beta that features a Vulkan renderer. Mad Max on Linux now supports Vulkan and OpenGL, making for some fun driver/GPU benchmarking. Up first are some Radeon RX 480 and R9 Fury Vulkan vs. OpenGL benchmarks for Mad Max when using Mesa 17.1-dev Git.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks.

The amdgpu pro driver has a way faster vulkan implementation than radV. Unfortunately distro support is very limited.

Comment

Very good to see automated testing support. If Feral is so eager for better performance through better drivers (rather than optimizations, which do seem to be sorely needed), then they need to make it as easy as possible to show why they need the gains.

Comment

These are some of the most mixed results I've seen in a long time, yet they're all from the same game. Really gets me to question what game benchmarks would look like in other scenes over the course of many years, even on Windows.

It seems to me Vulkan's frame rates had "more precision" than OGL's.

Comment

Can't understand that. On my R9 380 on OpenGL (Normal settings) I can barely reach 20FPS in the first 10 minutes while in Vulkan-Mode (RadV-git, Manjaro) on "Very High"-setting I'm with 40-60fps. Maybe you should consider to use mid-range hardware more often
          Last edited by lumks; 30 March 2017, 04:09 PM.

Comment

The driver is just far from optimized. There is noticeable stuttering that looks like loading issues and one CPU core often hits 100%. The RADV implementation will be pretty much destroyed by the proprietary drivers in the results for the moment, that's for sure.
            I'm honestly getting a bit impatient about the open sourcing of the Vulkan implementation by AMD with this improvement. It would be really unfortunate when AMD cards would become a worse option for Linux again, just because Vulkan is that slow. I think it's really time for AMD to implement their optimizations in RADV, having the chance to adopt RADV in their Windows drivers or open source their own driver.

Comment

radv won on 3 slowest scenec

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
                I think it's really time for AMD to implement their optimizations in RADV
                will you pay for it?
                having the chance to adopt RADV in their Windows drivers
                radv does not support windows and never will
                or open source their own driver.
                that is what they will do

Comment

Give radv some time: it's still far from being feature complete and optimizations will come.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Given that radv is often worse in other Vulkan benchmarks, this tells much about the port.
                    Also note that Feral contributed some patches and reviews into radv and mesa to get it to the state where it's now. It's working and not crashing your PC. It takes some time until radv improves, especially if AMD invests no resources...

Comment

Working...
                    X