Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Plane 11 Realistic Flight Simulator Now Available

Phoronix: X-Plane 11 Realistic Flight Simulator Now Available

After entering public beta last November, X-Plane 11 is now officially available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"As a former pilot, I can't wait to try out X-Plane 11"

Care to share what you flew?

Comment

Didn't look all that interesting until I saw the space shuttle. Now that got me interested even thou the closest I've gotten to actually flying a plane is sitting in the cockpit for a Saab 35 Draken once when I was young.

Comment

So is this related to the benchmarks you made for a mysterious game yesterday?

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
          Didn't look all that interesting until I saw the space shuttle. Now that got me interested even thou the closest I've gotten to actually flying a plane is sitting in the cockpit for a Saab 35 Draken once when I was young.
          Yes the Space Shuttle in X-Plane is amazing, it's very realistic. You can see YouTube videos of the actual Shuttle approach and it's really the same thing. I wonder if NASA pilots could actually use X-Plane for training.

Comment

Yes, Michael at your age you were a Privatpilot? Why you stopped flying?

@debianfxce Check x-plane.org forums. Some users reported success with opensource drivers and with the --force_run argument.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              X-Plane does not support the Gallium driver stack.
              X-Plane needs compatibility profiles, which are not officially supported by the open source drivers. This will be the case until XP11 switches to a Vulkan based renderer. IIRC, there is an option to force it to run anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Ehvis View Post

X-Plane needs compatibility profiles.
                That's a big red sign on my book.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  X-Plane needs compatibility profiles.
                  That's a big red sign on my book.
                  I think this is due to the developers targeting Macs as well, and apple has a woefully outdated opengl stack.

Comment

I think this is due to the developers targeting Macs as well, and apple has a woefully outdated opengl stack.
                    The most important reason is probably the plugin interface. The whole 3rd party addon stuff is based on allowing plugins to render directly. This is not possible with the core profiles. Since 3rd party products are far more important to X-Plane than supporting open source drivers, it was an easy choice.

They have already posted some things about changing the way plugins render and this will eventually happen to make sure the engine can switch to Vulkan/Metal.

Comment

Working...
                    X