14-Way NVIDIA Kepler/Maxwell/Pascal OpenGL vs. Vulkan With Mad Max On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14-Way NVIDIA Kepler/Maxwell/Pascal OpenGL vs. Vulkan With Mad Max On Linux

Phoronix: 14-Way NVIDIA Kepler/Maxwell/Pascal OpenGL vs. Vulkan With Mad Max On Linux

Yesterday game porter firm Feral Interactive released a public beta of Mad Max that features a Vulkan renderer in place of its OpenGL API for graphics rendering on Linux. In addition to Radeon Vulkan numbers, I posted some NVIDIA Mad Max Linux benchmarks with both renderers. Those results were exciting on the few Pascal cards tested so I have now extended that comparison to feature a line-up of 14 NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards from Kepler, Maxwell, and Pascal families while looking at this game's OpenGL vs. Vulkan performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You might want to re-think your tests. The Beta version's OpenGL renderer has a major regression in performance, so the numbers make Vulkan essentially look way too good, see my new article on it here for more info: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...rendering.9432

Comment

Hey Michael, the final part is incomplete:

Originally posted by phoronix
      Those that enjoy all our Linux hardware tests can help support future comparisons by joining Phoronix Premium or making

<insert broken share buttons here>
      Add A Comment

Comment

Something is very wrong with the Nvidia OpenGL proprietary driver, because Radeonsi is mopping the floor with it.

As the time goes by, I have seen more and more cases were AMD opensource driver is more solid than Nvidia's driver. Serious Sam Vulkan didn't work, now is Mad Max performs bad. Kinda funny isn't?
        Last edited by M@GOid; 31 March 2017, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          Something is very wrong with the Nvidia OpenGL proprietary driver, because Radeonsi is mopping the floor with it.
          Umm, they look ok, on par, RX 480 ~ GTX 970 ~ GTX 1060 and R9 Fury ~ GTX 980 Ti ~ GTX 1070 like on Windows benchmarks ( https://tpucdn.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1..._3840_2160.png ).
          Also keep in mind what @liamdawe said above.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
            Umm, they look ok, on par, RX 480 ~ GTX 970 ~ GTX 1060 and R9 Fury ~ GTX 980 Ti ~ GTX 1070 like on Windows benchmarks ( https://tpucdn.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1..._3840_2160.png ).
            Also keep in mind what @liamdawe said above.
            Not in the benchmarks that Michael did.

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
              You might want to re-think your tests. The Beta version's OpenGL renderer has a major regression in performance, so the numbers make Vulkan essentially look way too good, see my new article on it here for more info: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...rendering.9432
              Who cares, Talos Principle also had major regressions on OpenGL but people forget it...

Somewhere at the end of 2015. AFAIR they somewhat near halfed GL speed and couple months after that once VK appeared initially that was on par with regressed GL
              Last edited by dungeon; 31 March 2017, 05:39 PM.

Comment

this is.. fkn insane... broken ogl or vulkan master race?

Comment

Michael could we get a DX vs Vulkan comparison. Windows guys still say DX to be faster...

Comment

I'm getting a segfault when trying to run this on OpenSUSE

Comment

Working...
                    X