Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Students Are Missing Out On An Incredible Opportunity To Get Involved With Mesa, Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Students Are Missing Out On An Incredible Opportunity To Get Involved With Mesa, Wayland

Phoronix: Students Are Missing Out On An Incredible Opportunity To Get Involved With Mesa, Wayland

For student developers wishing to look for an interesting summer project while being paid by Google, the GSoC application deadlines are on Monday, 3 April. Sadly, the X.Org/Wayland/Mesa turnout so far for applicants are very low...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Incredible indeed.

Comment

They can also get involved with Redox and it's associated userspace (ie: ion shell).

Comment

it's necessary to spread linux knowledge in the universities making meetings

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          it's necessary to spread linux knowledge in the universities making meetings
          I'm afraid it's too late. Microsoft is throwing a lot of money to bribe everyone to use their products, especially in my most corrupted country from Europe.
          I remember that all my education from high school to university I was forced to use Microsoft products like Office and then Visual studio and SQL server.
          They even wanted to bribe me, by offering me a free Windows 7 licence.
          Maybe they thought that I will sell my freedom so cheap and choose a vendor-locked-in path in life. Idiots.

Comment

I would like to get involved. Then again, I barely have time to do my assignments and still have *some* time with my wife...

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I'm afraid it's too late. Microsoft is throwing a lot of money to bribe everyone to use their products, especially in my most corrupted country from Europe.
              I remember that all my education from high school to university I was forced to use Microsoft products like Office and then Visual studio and SQL server.
              Maybe they thought that I will sell my freedom so cheap and choose a vendor-locked-in path in life. Idiots.
              At least microsoft didn't buy you, not?? So, Wayland is all yours, you have the freedom to contribute.

Just at some point, what happend to me was:
              Being unhappy with QT, I was saying: It's full of bugs which nobody is trying to solve, it's old style c++ api. So I started to work on my own, and the first backend for my own framework ist wayland and using vulkan for drawing.
              This brought me back to the ugly reality: Wayland has very bad documentation and it's c (not c++) [lib-wayland].
              If you wand to use wayland directly [to make a wayland client, in my case a framework], you are force to all kind ugly programming [raw pointers, global variables], and it takes a lot of effort trying to create a modern c++ framework based on an ugly c-library. Being forced to use reinterpret_cast that often is not funny any more. WTF was the most used expression I had during my contact with wayland.
              Vulkan is the future for Linux (see the performance difference compared to opengl on linux), but wayland is not providing (and I suspect they even don't plan to have) a direct way vulkan to do the drawing. You have to go around over egl.

I'm sorry to say it, but to me it seems also in the linux/open-source world there is some kind of domination of some groups are imposing their view.

The problem with c is, is that it is forcing you to use bad design, it's harder to maintain, easier to introduce bugs. If wayland (lib-wayland) would be based on c++11 (c++14) with a great design, it would have been a triviality for the users to write easy and less error-prone wayland clients and frameworks.

On the following link is a great article which makes it clearer why we have to stop to build on top of .........
              Once upon a time, a friend of mine accidentally took over thousands of computers. He had found a vulnerability in a piece of software and…

cipri

Comment

cipri, what are you on about? The Wayland Protocol is defined in XML, you can write a wayland-scanner to generate code for any language you like.

Here's an example for the D programming language: https://github.com/rtbo/wayland-d

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
                  cipri, what are you on about? The Wayland Protocol is defined in XML, you can write a wayland-scanner to generate code for any language you like.

Here's an example for the D programming language: https://github.com/rtbo/wayland-d
                  Yes, this is the case if you want to make wayland server [compositor] and client yourself. But otherwise you have to use lib-wayland (c-library) to build the wayland client if you want to be sure that it runs on default wayland server/compositor (i.e. weston).
                  And I was thinking about this option too, that angry made me the c-library lib-wayland. But since I don't know that much about wayland I was postponing this, especially after seeing that KDE and Gnome are struggling since years to support wayland.
                  So at the moment I use libwayland for my framework, but in such a way that wayland can be replaced any time by something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    Microsoft is throwing a lot of money to bribe everyone to use their products, especially in my most corrupted country from Europe.
                    That must mean you're portuguese.

Comment

Working...
                    X