Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ 3.90.0 Released, Advancing Towards GTK 4.0

Phoronix: GTK+ 3.90.0 Released, Advancing Towards GTK 4.0

Matthias Clasen on Friday released version 3.90.0 of the GTK+ tool-kit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Basically changes to mimic what OS X has been doing for the past decade. Got it.

Comment

GTK is the bottleneck of the GNOME environment for me. A better API, even if close to OSX one, is welcome. But the focus should be on world class documentation and tutorials, to bring developers into it. That's a huge advantage of developing for OSX or Qt.

Comment

Interesting read about the current progress:

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
          Basically changes to mimic what OS X has been doing for the past decade. Got it.
          Got some examples there?

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Got some examples there?
            there just Apple Trolls

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
              CrApple can't even get meaningful market share on desktops. It can't even do proper 3D, so nobody cares about this slow shit.

Comment

Originally posted by brk0_0 View Post
                GTK is the bottleneck of the GNOME environment for me. A better API, even if close to OSX one, is welcome. But the focus should be on world class documentation and tutorials, to bring developers into it. That's a huge advantage of developing for OSX or Qt.
                I fact I quite like the API, I find it easy and logical. For lack if better words, GTK somehow feels "right" to me. Better documentation is absolutely needed, no questions about that. Qt and Windows are much better in that regard. As for OSX, no idea, never programmed on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

there just Apple Trolls
                  I know It's fun to get them to try to back up their assertions with facts though ...

Comment

Maybe it should be rewritten in something else than C?
                    Something object-oriented, perhaps C++ or Rust?
                    A non-object oriented language just isn't suitable for a widget toolkit. At least not to use it, but perhaps C is still a good choice because of bindings in many languages?

It must be very painful to write GTK applications in C.
                    In Python it is quite nice though with GObject Introspection (GI).
                    I really wish GI was available over .NET Core though so you could use GTK there, that would be amazing!

A limitation in Gtk.Paned is that it can only have two children to resize between, so if you want a resize-able container on both sides you would to nest two Gtk.Paned in some weird hierarchy. Which is hackish, confusing and frustrating.

Another bothering thing is that you have to explicitly call .show_all() everywhere because else the widgets wont show as they are not visible by default.

I also feel Gtk.Paned and Gtk.Revealer are quite similar and in cases you use one you might also want to use the other. So perhaps these ought to be merged into one widget?
                    Which kind of also goes for Gtk.Box, imagine being able to resize any child or reveal/hide any child in a Gtk.Box.

Comment

Working...
                    X