Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon TONGA Sees Some Gains With AMDGPU DRM-Next 4.12

Phoronix: Radeon TONGA Sees Some Gains With AMDGPU DRM-Next 4.12

Over the past few days I have posted some RX 480 tests and R9 Fury OpenGL/Vulkan tests for the new AMDGPU code slated for Linux 4.12. I've also carried out some R9 285 "Tonga" tests and happy to report seeing some performance gains there too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

thanks, would love to see how the R9 290 is doing.

Haven't seen it bench-marked in ages.

Comment

How does one use AMDGPU DRM-Next?

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
        thanks, would love to see how the R9 290 is doing.

Haven't seen it bench-marked in ages.
        Cause it's still busted on Radeon, but will include it in the AMDGPU v Radeon tests.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So what's better to test 4.12 or the work in progress 4.12-wip?

Comment

Thank you! Both AMD for still improving on Tonga and Michael for testing. The 285 was good value for money for me, and my next card will also be AMD (maybe VEGA?)
            For now I am still running the PRO driver due to HDMI audio missing...

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
              Thank you! Both AMD for still improving on Tonga and Michael for testing. The 285 was good value for money for me, and my next card will also be AMD (maybe VEGA?)
              For now I am still running the PRO driver due to HDMI audio missing...
              if you use arch linux, you can get AMD-Staging-4.9 kernel(include latest drm-next code + stuff like DAL that are not still on mainline) when using lcarlier repo(you also get mesa-git, llvm, etc)

Comment

I have 380X TONGA, so this is a little exciting

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Cause it's still busted on Radeon, but will include it in the AMDGPU v Radeon tests.
                  Did you try updating the firmware? Some versions of Ubuntu ship an older version of the UVD firmware that caused a problem. That has fixed it for every report I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Did you try updating the firmware? Some versions of Ubuntu ship an older version of the UVD firmware that caused a problem. That has fixed it for every report I've seen.
                    where can I find the latest firmware?

Comment

Working...
                    X