Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini TTY In Development For The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Mini TTY In Development For The Linux Kernel

Linaro and other ARM/embedded developers continue working on minitty, a minimal TTY implementation for the Linux kernel that's targeting embedded systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are there any active efforts to remove the TTY layer or replace it?

Many times we have heard about kmscon, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

not that I have heard/read about recently.

It would be kind of cool if this project spurred a replacement/refactoring of that code though, it sounds like a maintenance nightmare

Comment

Any news on David Herrmann finally killing the kernel VT console? [1]

[1]
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

I bet SciFi authors of the 70s did not envision TTY in the 21st century :P

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I'd like to know about that too. Mini TTY seems to be going the opposite direction. I agree with David Hermann, the TTYs really should be removed from the kernel.
            Last edited by Guest; 04 April 2017, 10:54 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

I'd like to know about that too. Mini TTY seems to be going the opposite direction. I agree with David Hermann, the TTYs really should be removed from the kernel.
              This is a feature that can be toggled on and off. I see nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Well I run several pcengines routers without any graphic card but only a serial port and the only way to set them up is by a nullmodem cable an minicom. But maybe KMSCON would support that, too.
                Last edited by timtas; 04 April 2017, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  I bet SciFi authors of the 70s did not envision TTY in the 21st century :P
                  Meh, I've read stuff from the 80s that still has punched cards for navigation computers in a nonspecified future which is well beyond what we have now.

The depiction of computers in fiction is rarely better than readout screens or control panels or "digital archives" (pure databases) or other simple stuff.
                  True computers and automation kill off the story by removing the whole need of men in too many places.
                  Zeroth rule of fiction is that the story must be about fallible men, not infallible mindless automated systems.

Comment

There seems to be a little confusion here. Nobody has suggested removing the TTY/PTY layer, as far as I know, you need this even for Xterms, gnome-terminal etc. MiniTTY seems to provide just enough for a subset of embedded use where the full TTY subsystem is just bloat. The idea of kmscon etc is to remove/replace the in-kernel console/vt, whether in user or kernel space, both act as a client (terminal emulator) to hook into the kernel TTY subsystem.

Think of it like an old mini-computer, where you have text-terminals hooked up. The kernel provides the TTY serial interface to the OS just like the mini-computer did, but the text-terminals are typically virtual, whether the linux console, or anything else, although physical terminals can be connected too.

Comment

Working...
                    X