No announcement yet.

CPUFreq vs. P-State CPU Scaling Governor Tests On Various Vulkan/OpenGL Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPUFreq vs. P-State CPU Scaling Governor Tests On Various Vulkan/OpenGL Games

Phoronix: CPUFreq vs. P-State CPU Scaling Governor Tests On Various Vulkan/OpenGL Games

With the recent release of some new Linux games like the Serious Sam 2017 update and Max Max, also with featuring Vulkan renderers, here are some fresh Intel P-State vs. ACPI CPUFreq frequency scaling driver and governor comparisons with a variety of Linux games.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In Fedora and Ubuntu, I realized that P-state always loves to throttle up to the maximum frequency at the drop of a hat, regardless of whether the workload in question actually benefits from the high frequency.

And even when idling, P-state never actually idles at the processor's lowest possible frequency. The lowest my processor can go is 400MHz, but the idling is always somewhere around the 500MHz region.

Comment

Would be great to see this on Ryzen. Would also like to see the actual wattage at idle between the different governors.

Comment

why no schedutil?

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
          why no schedutil?
          Because it wasn't in the Ubuntu 16.10 kernel...
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I've been using schedutil... seems more flexible than ondemand.

Comment

Michael Sorry, typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Tesseract is a game that does tend to be impacted much more by changes in the CPU scaling driver/governo than other games.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                In Fedora and Ubuntu, I realized that P-state always loves to throttle up to the maximum frequency at the drop of a hat, regardless of whether the workload in question actually benefits from the high frequency.

And even when idling, P-state never actually idles at the processor's lowest possible frequency. The lowest my processor can go is 400MHz, but the idling is always somewhere around the 500MHz region.
                Yeah. Same here with my Kaby Lake laptop. If you run powertop, you can observe cpufreq parks the cores and keeps them mostly in the lowerst power configurations (package included) with is S10, I think. Pstate won't go lower than S6 or something like that.

There's a reason why Dell ships their Ubuntu laptops with cpufreq instead of pstate.

Comment

Dell ships their laptops with cpufreq instead of pstate. Makes sense, right?

Comment

egardless of whether the workload in question actually benefits from the high frequency.
                    *Every* task benefits from the high frequency. It allows the CPU to finish the task as fast as possible, so it can go back into deep idle states as quickly as possible.

Comment

Working...
                    X