Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some In The Ubuntu Community Want To Fork, Maintain Unity 8

Phoronix: Some In The Ubuntu Community Want To Fork, Maintain Unity 8

Following yesterday's news of Canonical dropping work on Unity 8 and Ubuntu Phone and switching back to GNOME as their desktop environment, some community developers are determined to keep the projects going...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Developing Mir on their own would be impossible. And Unity is too tied to Mir to separate. I think converting the compositor part of Mir to a Wayland computer is the only way to go for a community project.

Comment

I am very upset with this Shuttleworth's decision. For me it is the end for my interest on Linux Desktop. I believe that any other DE is simply 10 years back and there is no vision generally for anything more than the 1,5% world desktop market share.

Ubuntu had that vision and thats why it became my primary desktop all those years. I prefer to abandon Ubuntu than use it with Gnome.

On the other hand if I were Shuttleworth I would have abandon this project a lot sooner just to see what is like when you lose something you take for granted.

For me today Linux Desktop DIED.-

Comment

2 verde> No need for despair, yet. I'll be perfectly happy with Unity 7 based on something better than Compiz. So, if they'll be able to tweak Gnome 3 to act like Unity 7 (no need for 8, I like Unity 7), we may have good desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
          I am very upset with this Shuttleworth's decision. For me it is the end for my interest on Linux Desktop. I believe that any other DE is simply 10 years back and there is no vision generally for anything more than the 1,5% world desktop market share.

Ubuntu had that vision and thats why it became my primary desktop all those years. I prefer to abandon Ubuntu than use it with Gnome.

On the other hand if I were Shuttleworth I would have abandon this project a lot sooner just to see what is like when you lose something you take for granted.

You could support the fork, though... And Unity 7 will still be around for a few years

Comment

They need to port Unity 8 to Wayland and complete the rest of the work, that is possible to do, I am sure many would appreciate Unity 8 running on Wayland.

Comment

Unity 8 is a Mir server, designed around that, and it's not compatible with Wayland or X11 at a fundamental architectural level. It might be possible to rewrite it from the ground up to become a Wayland-based display server and window manager, keeping the UI elements, but that would be Unity 9.

Also, Unity 8 is the shell on a Unity 8 Desktop Environment, and I see the unity8.org project is missing the 75% to 80% of the DE stack that is something other than the presentation layer. It shows a great deal of naivity on the part of whomever set it up.

The code is and has always been (L)GPLv3, so people are always free to fork it and do what they will. The name may be trademarked though, so whoever has the unity8.org name might want to get permission from the trademark holders first. It's better to get permission than to get a cease and desist.

I wish them the best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
                Unity 8 is a Mir server, designed around that, and it's not compatible with Wayland or X11 at a fundamental architectural level. It might be possible to rewrite it from the ground up to become a Wayland-based display server and window manager, keeping the UI elements, but that would be Unity 9.

Also, Unity 8 is the shell on a Unity 8 Desktop Environment, and I see the unity8.org project is missing the 75% to 80% of the DE stack that is something other than the presentation layer. It shows a great deal of naivity on the part of whomever set it up.

The code is and has always been (L)GPLv3, so people are always free to fork it and do what they will. The name may be trademarked though, so whoever has the unity8.org name might want to get permission from the trademark holders first. It's better to get permission than to get a cease and desist.

I hope they will fork it and do something with it, A LOT of Ubuntu users love Unity and hate to see it dropped in favor of Gnome, a new Unity should arise at least as community effort, and I hope Canonical doesnt plan on shipping vanilla Gnome without any Ubuntu modifications because that is going to disappoint a lot of people, give us at least some extensions that will make desktop more Unity-like and with familiar Ubuntu branding and tweaks, those that dont like such modifications can always turn them off or something.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post

bregma you seem to have a deep insight into this. Realistically, what do you think will happen to Unity/Unity8/Mir/UbuntuTouch?
                  Last edited by amp3030; 06 April 2017, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post

I will be happy if you leave linux community. There is no room for crying babies here

Comment

Working...
                    X