Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Mesa Driver / libdrm_intel Going Through Rework

Phoronix: Intel Mesa Driver / libdrm_intel Going Through Rework

An initiative taking place within the Intel open-source Linux driver camp is trying to effectively move libdrm_intel -- the Intel-specific code for the DRM library -- into the i965 Mesa driver itself...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If you got modern Intel system you don't need xf86-video-intel anymore, you can use the mode-setting driver.

Comment

libdrm_intel is a driver internal convenience library, and they only found out now?

Here's my 2010 fosdem talk that of course got ignored: https://people.freedesktop.org/~libv..._-_slides).pdf

Just like my pioneering modesetting work on VIA got ignored, just like my absolute first coreboot native display driver got ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
        libdrm_intel is a driver internal convenience library, and they only found out now?

Here's my 2010 fosdem talk that of course got ignored: https://people.freedesktop.org/~libv..._-_slides).pdf

Just like my pioneering modesetting work on VIA got ignored, just like my absolute first coreboot native display driver got ignored.
        I'm astonished you didn't leave some steaming piles of poo on their desks.

About Intel Atom performance: I have a netbook with an E450 (single core with SMT and GMA 3150, slow as hell) - will it profit from these measures?

Comment

Originally posted by Girolamo_Cavazzoni View Post

I'm astonished you didn't leave some steaming piles of poo on their desks.

About Intel Atom performance: I have a netbook with an E450 (single core with SMT and GMA 3150, slow as hell) - will it profit from these measures?
          Er....I think that might qualify as legacy cruft....... Well, it depends on what's slow. Is computer performance or graphics performance slow? Scrolling in the web browser janky? Videos don't play smoothly?

Comment

Hold on, I can't find any Intel E450 CPUs - I only saw results for AMD E-450 when I searched on Google.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              If you got modern Intel system you don't need xf86-video-intel anymore, you can use the mode-setting driver.
              How to get V-Sync working with modesetting DDX on rotated display?

Comment

Originally posted by Girolamo_Cavazzoni View Post
                No, sorry. GMA 3150 is a completely different GPU supported by the i915/i915g drivers, not i965. Nobody has really worked on those in years.

This work reduces CPU time for all i965 class hardware, but the main focus of the upcoming work will be to help modern Atoms (Baytrail and later), and also perhaps pre-Sandybridge i965 hardware.
                Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Er....I think that might qualify as legacy cruft....... Well, it depends on what's slow. Is computer performance or graphics performance slow? Scrolling in the web browser janky? Videos don't play smoothly?
                  Videos play rather nice, at least H.264 streams (PAL resolution). Scrolling in browsers is only a pain on complex sites. Slow applicatin startup is the most annoying thing (limiting factor here is indeed the CPU, not mass storage).

Originally posted by Kayden View Post

No, sorry. GMA 3150 is a completely different GPU supported by the i915/i915g drivers, not i965. Nobody has really worked on those in years.
                  That's a pity, but I really hadn't high hopes. At least it still works as intended.

Comment

Oh, well, that's a totally different thing then. This article is talking about GPU drivers, wouldn't really affect app startup, unless it had something do with OpenGL shaders, in which case the shader cache might help.

​​​​​​My recommendation - get a newer more modern computer. If you must use that hardware though, I'd recommend a cheap SSD, faster/more RAM - if you can use two sticks to activate dual channel even better. Try to overclock the CPU - probably reapply thermal paste on the CPU/heatsink.

Comment

Working...
                    X