Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Server Exploring A New Installer & More

Phoronix: Ubuntu Server Exploring A New Installer & More

Dustin Kirkland, the leader of product manager at Canonical, recently asked the folks at HackerNews what they would like to see done for Ubuntu 17.10. He's collected their feedback and offered a few insights into the current happenings...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone know why Ubuntu is choosing Gnome over KDE? QT now has a more agreeable license, Ubuntu preferred QT for Unity 8, KDE can easily replicate the look of Unity 7?

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
      Gnome is requested because it is the only enterprise level linux desktop out there.

The lesser desktops should rescope to be Gnome derivatives.
      Enterprise desktop with no desktop icons and ability to minimize window? Stop embarrassing yourself. Gnome is a morons desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Enterprise desktop with no desktop icons and ability to minimize window? Stop embarrassing yourself. Gnome is a morons desktop.
        I believe he was referring to the "GNOME Classic" session, which has a layout similar to GNOME2/MATE, i.e. with desktop icons, a taskbar, and the minimize/maximize/close window buttons.

I roll my eyes at the Gnome derivatives comment though.
        Last edited by Mystro256; 06 April 2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by article
          The problem of old kernel builds filling up /boot is an issue they hope to address for Ubuntu 17.10.
          That would be nice, I did run into that issue once. This should have been fixed long ago.

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Both are possible in Gnome shell, just not enabled by default.

Mystro256 I don't think he was referring to the classic session. He's always praising Gnome like that, don't pay attention to it.

Comment

Gnome is requested because it is the only enterprise level linux desktop out there.

The lesser desktops should rescope to be Gnome derivatives.
            I think he's a bot.
            Observing phoronix and as soon as there is a post with gnome tag, he posts how great gnome is.
            And on Kde he posts the opposite.

Comment

Nope, just nope. There is discussion about migrating from Mir to Wayland, but Gnome (or any other DE) isn't requested specifically as a DE more than a handfew times.

Most people mention GNOME for various other stuff. Really it's not hard to see this, just search "gnome" in the pdf doc of the thread https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B82...RUR0ZpVFE/view

For that matter, there are far more "Unity" mentions and are usually about keeping it or migrating it to Wayland.

But that guy needs to validate Shuttleworth's choice so there you go, questionable data analysis to get the statistic result he wanted to get.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

I think he's a bot.
                Observing phoronix and as soon as there is a post with gnome tag, he posts how great gnome is.
                And on Kde he posts the opposite.
                Can you remember Griffin's predecessor/alter ego Horton? Lets hope someone is paying them, otherwise they should get professional help for their banal trolling and/or astroturfing. Either way, it's such a waste of someone’s life.

Comment

Now the narrative seems to be that the community hated Unity 7 so badly that it killed Unity 8.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
                    Now the narrative seems to be that the community hated Unity 7 so badly that it killed Unity 8.
                    IMO Unity 7 was OK and Unity 8 had some nifty features, but I feel it was their effort to "blaze their own path" with Mir and convergence (something which KDE has toyed with) that let them astray. In retrospect, it seems that at the end of the day, it's the age old NIH syndrome that exists in our community that burned them in the end.

Comment

Working...
                    X