Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter Begins Landing Monitor/Display Rework

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter Begins Landing Monitor/Display Rework

Jonas Ådahl's latest GNOME work to benefit the GNOME Wayland support and other areas is a rework of Mutter so it now handles all low-level monitor configuration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can't really say that I'm happy about the fact that every wayland compositor will grow it's own display config api instead of supporting a common one.
    Today i use a simple script bound to hotkeys which calls xrandr to enable/disable specific monitors. In the future it seems like I'll have to screw around with dbus api's for every single compositor I'd like to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post
      Can't really say that I'm happy about the fact that every wayland compositor will grow it's own display config api instead of supporting a common one.
      Today i use a simple script bound to hotkeys which calls xrandr to enable/disable specific monitors. In the future it seems like I'll have to screw around with dbus api's for every single compositor I'd like to try.
      I think that this kind of API should be agreed upon at freedesktop.org, despite the fact that wayland developers left intentionally this functionality outside the scope of the protocol for security reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post
        Imo that should be handled so we first craft a new Wayland randr, then a shim is implemented into XWayland which maps as many parts of xrandr to the new API as securely possible. If you want full functionality, you use new tools

Comment

That is how Wayland development is anyway. Gnome does all the hard work
          Griffin, can you back up that claim with numbers ?

number of wayland commits by gnome and non-gnome developers for example.

Also you never seem to mention the other widely used linux desktop, KDE . Do you consider everything not-gnome a lesser desktop ?

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            KDE failed many years ago. Hell they even failed to make KDE5, now it is just disjoint software release without proper QA.

No wonder the users found better alternatives. The developers are fading away too. Good.
            There's no bigger failure than Gnome. Its developers were always copying from KDE and reinventing the wheel. The fact is many users turned out from Gnome. It lives only thanks to Unity, Cinnamon and Mate. You're prime example of idiotic gnome people attitude. Gnome and proper QA? Good joke moron.
            Last edited by Guest; 09 April 2017, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
              Haha. Gnome just won back Ubuntu. This will put Gnome's linux desktop marketshare above twothird around 2018.
              Gnome didn't won. Canonical has lost and because of them Linux desktop will suffer a lot. Nobody sane will believe them anymore. Currently gnome is buggy as hell and it's design dissaster:

Comment

Originally posted by LoneVVolf View Post

Griffin, can you back up that claim with numbers ?

number of wayland commits by gnome and non-gnome developers for example.

Also you never seem to mention the other widely used linux desktop, KDE . Do you consider everything not-gnome a lesser desktop ?
                Griffin is a gnome troll whose mum doesn't let him out to play much it seems, he's best left alone in his corner of hopelessness

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

There's no bigger failure than Gnome. Its developers were always copying from KDE and reinventing the wheel. The fact is many users turned out from Gnome. It lives only thanks to Unity, Cinnamon and Mate. You're prime example of idiotic gnome people attitude. Gnome and proper QA? Good joke moron.
                  Now whose talking out their rear end? Proof is in the development of the GTK stack and the apps that follow it. KDE is dying. People would rather go straight to Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Now whose talking out their rear end? Proof is in the development of the GTK stack and the apps that follow it. KDE is dying. People would rather go straight to Qt.
                    You're making no sense. Gtk (thus gnome) is dying and people are moving to Qt. KDE is fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X