Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenELEC Mediacenter OS 8.0 Released

Phoronix: OpenELEC Mediacenter OS 8.0 Released

OpenELEC 8.0 was released this weekend as the newest version of this mediacenter / multimedia focused Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Tried it out on my RPi3 but alas, it hangs after no more than a minute or two. Anyone wanting to try it on a RPi3 should probably wait until the next minor release.

Comment

I have the Wetec Play (shipped all the way from Czech Republic) and its a foobar for me. I pull it out periodically to let it patch and see how the updates to OpenELEC and Kodi work out. So far (IMHO) its a washout. The ATSC tuners need constant CLI tweaks to stay tuned and its VERY antenna finicky. The pre-loaded modules are mostly for niche Euro channels and the setup is so geeky and obtuse, sometimes I can't tell where I am in the myriad of screens.

A great idea with a very unfinished interface. Only for total Linux nerds who don't mind keeping a keyboard on their lap doing CLI tweaks while they watch NCIS OTA.

Comment

Is there still anyone using OpenElec while there is LibreElec?

Comment

Originally posted by Archprogrammer View Post
          Tried it out on my RPi3 but alas, it hangs after no more than a minute or two. Anyone wanting to try it on a RPi3 should probably wait until the next minor release.
          If it has issues on a raspi then it's in very bad shape.

Seconding the LibreElec suggestion. They made the 8.0 release like in February and made a beta for Raspi zero W support (that is now merged in latest version) https://libreelec.tv/

Comment

Most of the old OE developers are working with LE now and it's there you see most activity.
            I don't see any reasons to still use OE anymore.

Comment

Working...
            X