Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POCL 0.14 OpenCL Implementation Released

Phoronix: POCL 0.14 OpenCL Implementation Released

The Portable Computing Language (POCL) has issued a new release of their open-source CPU-based OpenCL implementation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's about time. The whole thing has been a broken implementation for over a year. All of the opencl stacks have been screwed up, here and there, including AMD. Mature the damn stack so we can finally utilize proper support in Cycles. I'm tired of all the whining from both camps, AMD and Blender on what is to blame, when both sides needed to fix up stuff.

The worst is OpenShadingLanguage's antiquated LLVM 3.4 that is finally gone for OSL 1.9. Too bad Blender is still using older stack that requires LLVM 3.4. All these issues are lip stick on a pig until they all modernize and make LLVM 4.0 the baseline.

Comment

Interesting, I didn't know that POCL can target HSA.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        Interesting, I didn't know that POCL can target HSA.
        That is kinda cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
          It's about time. The whole thing has been a broken implementation for over a year. All of the opencl stacks have been screwed up, here and there, including AMD. Mature the damn stack so we can finally utilize proper support in Cycles. I'm tired of all the whining from both camps, AMD and Blender on what is to blame, when both sides needed to fix up stuff.

The worst is OpenShadingLanguage's antiquated LLVM 3.4 that is finally gone for OSL 1.9. Too bad Blender is still using older stack that requires LLVM 3.4. All these issues are lip stick on a pig until they all modernize and make LLVM 4.0 the baseline.
          Yes, I agree, the compute landscape does not seem to have a coherent picture of itself, at least from an outsiders perspective. Hopefully with the recent uptick in neural net development the OpenCL stuff starts getting the love it needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            Too bad Blender is still using older stack that requires LLVM 3.4.
            I wonder why this is? Even upstream OSL is now supporting newer LLVM.

Comment

Working...
            X