Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Ubuntu Have Gone With KDE Instead Of GNOME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Ubuntu Have Gone With KDE Instead Of GNOME?

Phoronix: Should Ubuntu Have Gone With KDE Instead Of GNOME?

With last week's surprise decision by Mark Shuttleworth to abandon Unity 8 efforts and switch back to the GNOME desktop by Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, while some applauded the decision, others begged the question why not switch to KDE or "Ubuntu should default to [your favorite DE]."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd say yes, but GNOME can do tear-free video with almost no lag in X.

Comment

That's as long as you're using a compositor, that tear free video should come down to driver settings, no?

Comment

I'm a "newer" Linux user. However, I understand the value in all of these desktop environments. I have to agree that KDE would have been the better choice at least for people like me. I found "HOME" in KDE Plasma after trying at least 10-20 different distros and desktop environments. KDE Plasma does what I need it to do and it's familiar out of the box with my three monitors.

Comment

I've been using KDE for 15 years. It's not perfect, but it's a lot nicer to use than Gnome (which I've also used).

Comment

... so - my question is: Why Not Both?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
              ... so - my question is: Why Not Both?
              There's already Kubuntu, what would be the point? If you are feeling adventurous you can also install kubuntu-desktop right from within vanilla Ubuntu. So they already do provide both...

Comment

I think KDE would have been the better choice for personal desktop users, but Canonical is abandoning that market anyway.

For corporate/cloud money, GNOME was the smart move.

Comment

I'm a fan of KDE, but there's a reason KDE Neon exists: the underlying tools update on a schedule at odds with KDE's, resulting in old and buggy packages.

Comment

I love KDE and I dont like Gnome, but there are people that has issues with KDE on nvidia cards, and Ubuntu cant afford that

Comment

Working...
                    X