Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine's Direct3D CSMT Support Isn't Yet Complete

Phoronix: Wine's Direct3D CSMT Support Isn't Yet Complete

For those excited by yesterday's Wine 2.6 release with D3D CSMT as the long-awaited command-stream multi-threading to boost game performance, don't get your hopes too high with this release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ffxiv benchmark
    1090T with GTX470
    Proprietary nvidia drivers

1920x1080
    Standard Desktop Full screen

Wine 2.6 Stage
    Score

Windows Vista
    Score

Windows Vista gtx470 SLI + 23% GPU over clock + 25% CPU over clock
    Score

Comment

Witcher 3 needs strict ordering, so CSMT helps it.

Comment

Question: Is CSMT the same type of forced multi-threading that NVidia uses on their GPU drivers? The kind that actually loses performance with more cores/threads as we've been seeing on Ryzen? (that is, it scales up to about 3-4 threads then starts choking on itself).

Comment

not a big problem since we can use wine stagging

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            Question: Is CSMT the same type of forced multi-threading that NVidia uses on their GPU drivers? The kind that actually loses performance with more cores/threads as we've been seeing on Ryzen? (that is, it scales up to about 3-4 threads then starts choking on itself).
            The idea is similar, but how well it scales is very implementation specific. So the only way to check if it scales on Ryzen is to test it. Same goes for Mesa threaded dispatch. Combining CSMT with any of these is probably a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Witcher 3 needs strict ordering, so CSMT helps it.
              Hm? Last I checked, Witcher 3 doesn't run on Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

Hm? Last I checked, Witcher 3 doesn't run on Wine.
                I guess you missed that it does for a while already. But there are still some shaders missing (especially outside, sunlit areas). Major improvements happened around Wine 2.3. I posted test results here. See here for more recent result.

Since 2.3, it didn't improve much.
                Last edited by shmerl; 14 April 2017, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  I guess you missed that it does for a while already. But there are still some shaders missing (especially outside, sunlit areas). Major improvements happened around Wine 2.3. I posted test results here. See here for more recent result.

Since 2.3, it didn't improve much.
                  Hm, but that's with Staging rather than mainline Wine, looks like.

Still, impressive, I thought Wine was far away from working D3D11.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

Hm, but that's with Staging rather than mainline Wine, looks like.

Still, impressive, I thought Wine was far away from working D3D11.
                    With 2.6, just a couple of patchsets from staging are needed to run it.

Comment

Working...
                    X