Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking Ahead To The Polaris RX 550/560/570/580 On Linux

Phoronix: Looking Ahead To The Polaris RX 550/560/570/580 On Linux

Next week AMD is expected to roll-out the updated Polaris graphics cards in the form of the Radeon RX 550, RX 560, RX 570, and RX 580 series. The Linux drivers should be ready...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm considering the 580, though not before Vega details and pricing are known. If small Vega is a good deal, I may go with it instead.

Comment

Michael, don't buy the cards. Not only is a slap in the face to be ignored like that, despite all the coverage you gave to the AMD Radeon efforts, but the cards are a simple re-branded RX400 series. If you want to spend money, buy a low end, quad core Ryzen CPU instead for benchmarks.

Comment

I would also suggest to buy no card at all. Just wait some weeks for vega

Comment

I agree with M@GOid. Never go out of your way to buy re-branded cards (the results will be boring), though to my understanding the RX 560 is more than just a rebrand, so that ought to be ok. But generally, get something where the architecture or firmware has been updated. If you're going to buy something with your own money, get a product that is distinctly different.

Even when it comes to Ryzen, the only other CPU worth buying (for testing purposes) is the 1400, since that has a different sized L2 and L3 cache compared to the 1600 and higher. In other words, disabling cores isn't good enough to simulate the 1400.
          Last edited by schmidtbag; 14 April 2017, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            Michael, don't buy the cards. Not only is a slap in the face to be ignored like that, despite all the coverage you gave to the AMD Radeon efforts, but the cards are a simple re-branded RX400 series. If you want to spend money, buy a low end, quad core Ryzen CPU instead for benchmarks.
            Despite wanting so see some benchmarks I completely agree: save your money for Vega.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

RX-550 is a new one. I onder if it will be available with decent multi DP outputs.

Comment

Cant wait to see if these cards will have SRIOV support.

Comment

These are not simple rebrands (it's a bit more than just overclocking leftovers and bumping numbers), but yeah, they most likely won't differ that much in performance terms comparing to 4xx (maybe even smaller percent than each new generation of Intel processors, at least mainstream ones).

I'm still wondering if they will (re)introduce RX 490, or will confuse customers producing multiple Vega cards...

Comment

rx 560 seems very good, i hope the tdp is <75w

Comment

Working...
                    X