Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State Of Debian 9.0 Stretch

Phoronix: The State Of Debian 9.0 Stretch

Debian developers are preparing for the final phase of the development freeze on Debian 9.0 "Stretch" and it's looking like the official release might not be too far out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just want to know if they are going to fix my Weston crasher... it is fixed in 2.0, but Debian has 1.12 still... nothing much happening on the bug report https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=847656

Comment

Where can I find the official roadmap to addopt python3 as default /usr/python in Debian?

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
        Where can I find the official roadmap to addopt python3 as default /usr/python in Debian?
        Python 2 has to die first.

Comment

https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging...h-python3.html

That is a policy since 2015. removal of 2 it would likely be release goal for Buster since Py2 is supported only till 2020.
          Last edited by dungeon; 15 April 2017, 09:30 PM.

Comment

It's a moronic idea, why would anybody in their fucking mind do that? Currently Python 2 scripts can use python2, Python 3 scripts can use python3 and more than a decade worth of old scripts can continue to enjoy backward compatibility with python shebang. There is no benefit from making python->python3, and not at all, other than breaking scripts for the breakings sake.

Comment

Originally posted by yturmisil View Post

... more than a decade worth of old scripts can continue to enjoy backward compatibility with python shebang.
              It’s called “technical debt”. The longer you postpone doing something about it, the more it costs.

I’ve said before, Python 2 is like the Windows XP of the programming world.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
                I’ve said before, Python 2 is like the Windows XP of the programming world.
                Why? Most of the Python community chose to stay on 2.x for a while and 2.7.x has been updated with most of the big features from Python 3. All the major libraries, frameworks, and toolkits fully support Python 2.7.x

From the Python fanatics I know, Python 3 wasn't a serious choice until about 3.4 due to bugs and problems in the older versions. That's in the past, now Python 3 is better. but even now, there isn't major missing features in Python 2.7.

I don't care which Python version is the default, if I can deploy Python 3 apps that's great. I do like official standard repo support for a recent 3.x Python.

Also, jdk-8, that's very important for my use case as a server OS. Debian 8 still requires the backports repos to get jdk-8, and even there, there are additional manual steps needed to get it working.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post

Why? Most of the Python community chose to stay on 2.x for a while and 2.7.x has been updated with most of the big features from Python 3. All the major libraries, frameworks, and toolkits fully support Python 2.7.x

From the Python fanatics I know, Python 3 wasn't a serious choice until about 3.4 due to bugs and problems in the older versions. That's in the past, now Python 3 is better. but even now, there isn't major missing features in Python 2.7.

I don't care which Python version is the default, if I can deploy Python 3 apps that's great. I do like official standard repo support for a recent 3.x Python.

Also, jdk-8, that's very important for my use case as a server OS. Debian 8 still requires the backports repos to get jdk-8, and even there, there are additional manual steps needed to get it working.
                  AFAIK Python 3 is the default in Debian Stretch with Python 2.7 as a fallback for those programs which haven't upgraded to Python 2.7 yet.

I noticed the shift for in quite a number of packages.

Comment

Working...
                  X