Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relm: A GTK-Based GUI Library In Rust For Async GUI Apps

Phoronix: Relm: A GTK-Based GUI Library In Rust For Async GUI Apps

With there being many Rustlang fans reading Phoronix, many of you will probably be interested in Relm: a new GUI library for Rust...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully one day there'll be a Rust-based alternative to GTK+ / Qt.

Projects like Relm could be built on top of it then. The problem with GTK+ is that it's.. well, GTK+. It looks pretty horrible on Windows, and apparently the GTK / Gnome guys aren't too co-operative on contributions that they don't view fit for their vision of desktop Linux.

Qt is better in the multi-plat side, but it's written in C++ and doesn't map to many languages that well. There's Python bindings that are apparently good, but the rest of the bindings seem to be based on very old Qt versions / not maintained.

The good thing with Rust is it's FFI is C-like, and can thus be called from many different languages, just like with GTK+.

Comment

My problem with GTK is only as a user Gnome doesn't give a tiny little shit about breaking it. I don't even use Gnome and they get to break GTK for me at every possible chance they get.

So yeah, I think a DE agnostic widget toolkit written in rust would be fucking awesome!

Comment

Judging by Wayland, Mir and other projects this new toolkit should be mature in 10 years.
        Last edited by cl333r; 16 April 2017, 09:08 AM. Reason: Reason: the sky is blue, that's why

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          Judging by Wayland, Mir and other projects this new toolkit should be mature in 10 years.
          This isn't a toolkit, or a display server. The amount of work involved to mature this API wrapper is peanuts in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
            The problem with GTK+ is that it's.. well, GTK+. It looks pretty horrible on Windows, and apparently the GTK / Gnome guys aren't too co-operative on contributions that they don't view fit for their vision of desktop Linux.
            This is an unfair statement because this is true of all software projects, not just GTK. It's better for a project to have a clear vision and set of guidelines than to implement everyone's ideas at the same time in a chaotic manner. Longevity of a software project requires a solid foundation and structure.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

This is an unfair statement because this is true of all software projects, not just GTK. It's better for a project to have a clear vision and set of guidelines than to implement everyone's ideas at the same time in a chaotic manner. Longevity of a software project requires a solid foundation and structure.
              I mean, there was the whole little bit of drama regarding Canonical and GTK+, where Canonical's patches weren't being accepted upstream, then Canonical stopped sending patches upstream and then GTK+ developers started crying that Canonical doesn't send patches upstream....

There's been lots of stories about GTK+ and Gnome people being dicks to anyone who isn't part of their teams. Kind of makes you think differently of a project.

Comment

The good thing with Rust is it's FFI is C-like, and can thus be called from many different languages, just like with GTK+.
                lol, so good thing with rust is worse than qt

Comment

I mean, there was the whole little bit of drama regarding Canonical and GTK+, where Canonical's patches weren't being accepted upstream
                  because gtk+ is not obliged to accept all shit canonical throws at it

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    lol, so good thing with rust is worse than qt
                    You mean better than qt, in that wrappers are actually good and useful.

Comment

Working...
                    X