Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau In Linux 4.13 Will Support HDMI Stereo 3D

Phoronix: Nouveau In Linux 4.13 Will Support HDMI Stereo 3D

Ben Skeggs has merged the code for enabling HDMI Stereoscopic 3D support within the Nouveau DRM driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do I understand correctly that Nouveau is the first open-source Linux display driver that got HDMI Stereo 3D support?

Comment

Originally posted by patrakov View Post
      Do I understand correctly that Nouveau is the first open-source Linux display driver that got HDMI Stereo 3D support?
      No, Intel has had it for quite a while. I think AMD patches were also floating around, but not sure if they got merged yet.

Comment

I've a 3D telly and I always fancied playing StarCraft 2 in 3D, any idea if that'll work with wine?

Comment

Just a word of caution about Stereoscopic 3D. I played enough 3D games on my PS3 to learn that it works poorly for fast-action. RPGs and RTS would be a better choice.

That said, I don't know if PC 3D monitors are subject to the same limitations as HDMI 1.3, where the effective 1080p framerate would get halved. But, if you're gaming on an old 3D TV, then consider yourself warned.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            Just a word of caution about Stereoscopic 3D. I played enough 3D games on my PS3 to learn that it works poorly for fast-action. RPGs and RTS would be a better choice.

That said, I don't know if PC 3D monitors are subject to the same limitations as HDMI 1.3, where the effective 1080p framerate would get halved. But, if you're gaming on an old 3D TV, then consider yourself warned.
            I played Left 4 Dead (Sadly, Windows at the time) for one thousand of hours without interference, drop frame, dizzy feeling but fast response and frame rate, with a passive 3D monitor (That was, horizontal resolution cut by half). This is similar to watching 3D movie "in the cinema". What makes it die is the great marketing with poor technology from Samsung and Sony etc to persuade customers to buy an active stereoscopic 3D solution, and ultimately killed the 3D ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by dbpalan View Post
              I played Left 4 Dead (Sadly, Windows at the time) for one thousand of hours without interference, drop frame, dizzy feeling but fast response and frame rate, with a passive 3D monitor (That was, horizontal resolution cut by half).
              I think this was the key.

Going over HDMI 1.3, full-resolution framerates would be cut from 60 Hz to 30 Hz. That's assuming the PS3 could even maintain 30, but the point is the same on the compute side - it had to do nearly twice as much work, so the framerate almost halved.

Anyway, the effect is just lag. You react to what you see, but since it's delayed, fewer of your attacks land successfully, and it's harder to dodge or block opponents' attacks. It gets so frustrating I'd have to switch back to 2D. I played on a Panasonic 1080p plasma (active 3D), with gaming mode enabled.

BTW, 3D movies were cool, not least because my TV's motion smoother would even work in 3D mode. That generally helped the 3D effect, IMO.

Comment

Working...
              X