Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Favorite Features/Changes Of The Linux 4.11 Kernel

Phoronix: My Favorite Features/Changes Of The Linux 4.11 Kernel

With Linux 4.11.0 being released as soon as this weekend, here's a look back at the changes I found most exciting about this next kernel feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does linux have a generic audio driver like in windiws?

Comment

I have had no issue with my ALC1220 on my Crosshair VI. Even on kernel 4.8 while testing out Ubuntu live flash drive. So what exactly is 4.11 supposed to do for ALC1220 codec?

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
        Does linux have a generic audio driver like in windiws?
        I am not sure what you meant by generic audio driver. From some googling, presumably, you meant Universal Audio Architecture. It looks like just a standardized API that audio drivers required to provide. It is not a driver, and its analog on Linux is Advanced Linux Sound Architecture.

Comment

Originally posted by monte84 View Post
          I have had no issue with my ALC1220 on my Crosshair VI. Even on kernel 4.8 while testing out Ubuntu live flash drive. So what exactly is 4.11 supposed to do for ALC1220 codec?
          I have the same experience with my ASRock Taichi Z270 board, it has worked fine since day 0 several months ago. It shows up as a generic Intel HDA device. I played with s 4.11 release candidate the other day and the only obvious difference was that alsamixer said "ALC1220" vs "Realtek Generic" and had more mixer controls available.

The driver is available here for anyone curious enough to dig in:

Comment

Yes, that's what I meant. Windows have a generic UAA driver if you have no vendor specific ones

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
              Yes, that's what I meant. Windows have a generic UAA driver if you have no vendor specific ones
              UAA and ALSA are not drivers, they're just a set of interfaces to implement for the actual driver. To have a "generic audio driver" you'd need to have a standard for hw manufacturers to follow, like HID for usb devices. I didn't manage to find one, so unless I missed something, a generic audio driver is technically impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by 2bluesc View Post

I have the same experience with my ASRock Taichi Z270 board, it has worked fine since day 0 several months ago. It shows up as a generic Intel HDA device. I played with s 4.11 release candidate the other day and the only obvious difference was that alsamixer said "ALC1220" vs "Realtek Generic" and had more mixer controls available.

The driver is available here for anyone curious enough to dig in:
                https://github.com/torvalds/linux/bl...atch_realtek.c
                I tried 4.11RC1, I don't remember having extra controls, but that's good to know! Thanks

Comment

Wow, airtime fairness... thanks for link nuetzel
                  That looks great, wonder how long before it gets into home routers or unifi gear etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X