Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solus 2017.04.18 Brings Updates, Bulletproof Boot Management

Phoronix: Solus 2017.04.18 Brings Updates, Bulletproof Boot Management

Solus 2017.04.18.0 was released today as the latest ISO snapshot for this growing Linux distribution well known for its original Budgie desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Heh, Mesa 17.0.4 was just released today, and yet it found it's way there. Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
      Heh, Mesa 17.0.4 was just released today, and yet it found it's way there. Cool.
      Not gonna lie I had been holding out for that release xD I'd been checking all Sunday to see if it was in, and it just happened to land in time for me to merge for the stable sync + snapshot..

Comment

is this new solus release coming up in the next distro comparison? or just compared to the old solus iso snapshot as discussed here previously?

Comment

excellent job solus team ! very nicely done distribution and amazing effort !

Comment

I switched over last weekend from Ubuntu ( not very enthusiastic in their direction )

I am very pleased so far with Solus and the Budgie. Fast and no hiccups on my AMD setup.

Comment

Bootloader management is something that shouldn't be a chore, which most operating systems achieve, except most Linux Distro's it is a chore. Same with driver management, the situation is terrible.

So I really am happy with what Solus is doing. Maybe the year of the Linux Desktop is finally not going to sound as stupid as it has done since the term first started.

Comment

What's wrong with GRUB, that has led to another boot loader ?

Comment

Originally posted by RickXy View Post
                  What's wrong with GRUB, that has led to another boot loader ?
                  There is no bootloader. And the answer would be a lot shorter had the question been "What's not wrong with GRUB?"
                  clr-boot-manager is a manager for existing bootloaders, maintaining the kernels and boot entries in a sane fashion.
                  It also ensures that for UEFI the ESP is properly cared for, even when using utf8. (FAT32 is a monster and you must
                  be exceptionally careful to avoid corruption)

If you're using legacy boot on Solus, then it's managing GRUB2. If you're using UEFI, then it's managing goofiboot,
                  which will be replaced with systemd-boot on the next set of stack updates.

Comment

Originally posted by ikey_solus View Post

There is no bootloader. And the answer would be a lot shorter had the question been "What's not wrong with GRUB?"
                    clr-boot-manager is a manager for existing bootloaders, maintaining the kernels and boot entries in a sane fashion.
                    It also ensures that for UEFI the ESP is properly cared for, even when using utf8. (FAT32 is a monster and you must
                    be exceptionally careful to avoid corruption)

If you're using legacy boot on Solus, then it's managing GRUB2. If you're using UEFI, then it's managing goofiboot,
                    which will be replaced with systemd-boot on the next set of stack updates.
                    But doesn't GRUB already support UEFI ?

Comment

Working...
                    X