Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Server Team Begins Planning For 17.10

Phoronix: Ubuntu Server Team Begins Planning For 17.10

Following the successful launch of Ubuntu 17.04, the Ubuntu Server team is beginning to formalize their plans for Ubuntu 17.10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's too bad that 17.04 didn't ship with PHP 7.1 and Python 3.6.

Comment

The big question to me is will they default to Gnome in 17.10 or not. And if it will be a stock one or something that resembles the Unity UI.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        The big question to me is will they default to Gnome in 17.10 or not. And if it will be a stock one or something that resembles the Unity UI.
        I think they'd definitely default to it for 17.10.... Ubuntu 18.04 is an LTS release with no way they would switch over the desktop default that cycle without first some vetting in 17.10.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

hey are weighing possible internal development changes, perhaps even making Ubuntu rolling-release-like
          I would like that a lot. Having to perform a large update/upgrade every six months is annoying, I'd much rather have a more rolling update style OS.

Comment

Originally posted by PHLAK View Post

I would like that a lot. Having to perform a large update/upgrade every six months is annoying, I'd much rather have a more rolling update style OS.
            that does seem like a cool idea

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              It's too bad that 17.04 didn't ship with PHP 7.1 and Python 3.6.
              there are always PPAs sury's php ppa ftw!

Comment

It looks like the 17.10 codename will be Artful Aardvark.
                Last edited by AsciiWolf; 20 April 2017, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AsciiWolf View Post
                  It looks like the 17.10 codename will be Artful Aardvark.
                  Well, to make worth that name they could go back in delivering nice wallpapers, like they did for a few years before the actual purple-thing-abstract theme.

Comment

Working...
                  X