Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking The Radeon RX 580 Under Linux

Phoronix: Overclocking The Radeon RX 580 Under Linux

Yesterday I posted the initial Radeon RX 580 Linux benchmarks while now with having more time with this "Polaris Evolved" card I've been able to try out a bit more, like the AMDGPU Linux overclocking support. Here are the ups and downs of overclocking the Radeon graphics card under Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With AMD you don't have to overclock! We did it for you at the factory! (just look at the power consumption numbers if you think we're lying!)

Comment

the overclock didn't papear

Comment

I would be more interested in underclocking and undervolting so that you get RX 480 performance/consumption back!

Comment

I also see the mem oc not working on my rx480.

Code:
          uname -a
          Linux linux-2bf5 4.10.11-1.gbd70196-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 18 05:55:31 UTC 2017 (bd70196) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          Code:
          echo 1 > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_mclk_od

dmesg -T
          [Do Apr 20 23:20:42 2017] VDDCI is larger than max VDDCI in VDDCI Voltage Table!
          [Do Apr 20 23:20:42 2017]
          failed to send message 18a ret is 255
          [Do Apr 20 23:20:42 2017]
          failed to send pre message 145 ret is 255
          Edit: It's a MSI rx480 GAMING X 8GB
          Last edited by mibo; 20 April 2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Under Windows I think people were seeing as much as 104mhz overclocks or more but that could have been due to the cards have power factors uncapped or windows driver/software doing that for them.

Comment

They should call them RX 4x5 (450, 465, 475 and 485), as they promised to call minor improvements...
              I had a bit bigger expectations from refresh with bumped series number, but since I already own RX 470 (Nitro+) I don't care that much until they will show up Vega (no plans for upgrade, it will surely be way too expensive for me, but it should be a good deal when Nvidia will release something fresh). ;-)

Comment

I think these 500 series will drop to real cheap quickly as they will be superseded by Rx Vega and Volta cards coming out this year. And NVIDIA is already pushing hard by lowering the 1000 series prices meaning VEGA will have no choice but to lower with it! Meaning these 500 series cards will have to be lowered also. That's competition, and the cost of releasing a high-end market card LATE!

Comment

@theriddick, yeah.

Sometimes it looks like AMD tries to shoot off own feet... Are they afraid of being successful? Not good enough yields for 4xx? Or what?...
                  Vega is still Terra Incognita, way too much confusion, last year it made sense as delayed RX 490 plus Fury series replacement.
                  But now? No idea how exactly it will turn out. One thing is for sure, right now GPUs are way too expensive (especially here, thanks to worse exchange rate).

Comment

The Wattman utility under Windows is already a pretty decent piece of software capable of fine-tuning your overclock and connecting them with voltage-levels. If a similar tool would be released for Linux, things would be much more comfortable to tune.

Comment

Working...
                    X