Devuan 1.0 Makes It To A Release Candidate: Debian Without Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devuan 1.0 Makes It To A Release Candidate: Debian Without Systemd

Phoronix: Devuan 1.0 Makes It To A Release Candidate: Debian Without Systemd

The first release candidate is now available for Devuan, the fork of Debian that rids the system of systemd...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is stupid

Comment

Originally posted by raom View Post
      This is stupid
      Do you understand anything about init processes or the guts of the OS itself, or are you just a user?

If it's the former, we have a bit in common to discuss and I would greatly disagree with you on numerous fronts.

If it's the latter, you've little concept of what you're calling "stupid" and should best stay silent and learn rather than mouthing off.

Comment

this is very stupid. But they have at least learned how to maintain Debian, so there is that.

Comment

I'm using it on like.. 15 vm's

Comment

I will never forget how shytemd was forced in Debian, so to me to have this is excellent.

On average on whatever decision that must be made, we have a new fork of Debian

Comment

nice sane people like me like systemd concept but not the result.

Comment

Devuan will try, Devuan will fail.

As there is no public problem (no high count of complains) there is no reason for more than a hundred people to use this. They're also changing parts of the stack no one uneducated ever notices. Dependencies on systemd components will still be raising in the future, so maintenance of Devuan will get to a burden, until they fail and fall behind. Devuan is clearly filling a very small gap.

I myself, beeing a more technical guy, maintaining quite some linux desktops and servers, don't see that much of a problem with systemd. It's painless, i got little to no problems with systemd. I pretty like the tad of unification thats happening, making distro switches and the creation of universal components easier. I'm going to stick to my debian/ubuntu/fedora based setups for some time to come.

Comment

Nice to see Devuan progressing. I don’t have a need for it at the moment, but maybe in a few years when I need an old distro to build with an old version of glibc, as Debian itself is unusable.

Comment

well I guess is a good option for the "80's Is best tin foil hats" community.

In my case after tasting the sweet nectar of ArchLinux + ZFS + nspawn + sec comp + .targets files for on the fly secure container managed through DBUS with 0 performance penalty I cannot imagine going back to the Stone Age

Comment

Working...
                    X