Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch-Based arkOS Linux Being Discontinued

Phoronix: Arch-Based arkOS Linux Being Discontinued

arkOS, the Arch-based Linux distribution focused on "securely self-hosting your online life" with aims to make it easy to deploy servers for web-based services, is being discontinued...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

IT is rough

Comment

Don't think I've heard of this project before, but I like the concept. I do something similar, hosting my own services for email, web, cloud, etc. but it was a manual buildout. A bunch of VM's running on a CentOS box. Probably nowadays Docker is preferred. Trying to build all that out via a GUI interface like they were attempting seems like a tall order. The vast majority of the time, these services are deployed on servers/VM's that don't have a GUI, so the documentation for all these projects reflects that.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
        LIFE is rough
        fixed.

Comment

As they say... programming languages comes and goes, but C remains. That is why I write in C and that is also why I use Debian. It's not that I have anything against other distros and if others where thinking like me there would not be much innovation either. Sad to see it go, but I wonder if such projects would last longer if they instead of making their own distro instead made a "kit" that could be applied on top of the most common Linux'es out there... namelig Debian, Fedora, Arch etc...

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

He mentioned a similar effort in Yunohost. Having a little look-see as we speak.
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
              As they say... programming languages comes and goes, but C remains. That is why I write in C and that is also why I use Debian.
              A lot of language remain, COBOL, BASIC (yes BASCIC), Fortran, ADA and a huge number of others are still around and will be around for a very long time. that doesn't mean it is smart to stick with them for new development.
              It's not that I have anything against other distros and if others where thinking like me there would not be much innovation either. Sad to see it go, but I wonder if such projects would last longer if they instead of making their own distro instead made a "kit" that could be applied on top of the most common Linux'es out there... namelig Debian, Fedora, Arch etc...
              The problem with such a distro, in my mind anyways, is keeping it secure. I don't do the cloud with Google because of their behavior but on the other hand I don't have the confidence that I could maintain a cloud server that is secure and reliable enough. Frankly I'm not sure this can be accomplished from the distro maintainers perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                The problem with such a distro, in my mind anyways, is keeping it secure. I don't do the cloud with Google because of their behavior but on the other hand I don't have the confidence that I could maintain a cloud server that is secure and reliable enough. Frankly I'm not sure this can be accomplished from the distro maintainers perspective.
                x2, a proven distro with a track record is what you want here. RHEL and SLES come to mind. Instead of offering yet another distro, ArkOS should have produced a repository of packages (and any needed dependencies) that you can apply on top of an existing preferred distro. Its enough work maintaining the packages and the configurations, but add the whole OS into the mix, and you need a serious team to make it work, not a one-man hobby.

Comment

Another one man show distribution bites the dust, now if only a 100 more would get killed off and their developers pulling their shit together and contributing to one or more major distributions out there and we might have a decent Linux desktop one day, current state of Linux desktop, stability and reliability wise, is worse than lets say 15 years ago, Linux rules the servers, supercomputers, cloud and embedded devices, but on the desktop it got crappier and crappier in recent times, development for the sake of development, buggy desktops, crashing applets, missing functionality, things not working at all etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
                    ... current state of Linux desktop, stability and reliability wise, is worse than lets say 15 years ago, ... on the desktop it got crappier and crappier in recent times, development for the sake of development, buggy desktops, crashing applets, missing functionality, things not working at all etc.
                    I think one of the main problems is that kids and big money are now focused on things like web, cloud, server, IoT, robotics, and mobile.

Desktop is seen as old and unsexy, so high-school/college kids don't hack on it, which means the talent pool isn't being refreshed, and the money people aren't backing it either. Also, having a lot of developers working on desktop apps is how you get lots of bug reports & fixes in your window managers and GUI tool kits. In the world of open source, your QA is only as good as your user community.

The only thing that's better now, than 15 years ago, are the tools. Not to say other things haven't also improved, but if we're talking about things which could lead to a better Desktop software situation, then I think that's about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X