Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Still Working Towards Apache 2.0 Relicensing

Phoronix: LLVM Still Working Towards Apache 2.0 Relicensing

LLVM developers have been wanting to move from their 3-clause BSD-like "LLVM license" to the Apache 2.0 license with exceptions. It's been a while since last hearing about the effort while now a third round of request for comments was issued...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would rather see them move from a 3-clause BSD license to a 2-clause BSD license instead of the Apache License.

2-clause BSD license is very simple, few clauses.
    Apache License is big and have many clauses.

Comment

In US it's essential for project with many collaborators to be protected from patent attacks, that's why imho llvm moves to apache 2.0 license.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I would rather see them move from a 3-clause BSD license to a 2-clause BSD license instead of the Apache License.

Anarchy has fewer rules than rule based democracy. Wouldn't it make sense to destroy all western civilizations? They're mostly just restricting peoples' lives.

Comment

Thank you for that very detailed and nuanced legal analysis [/sarcasm].

Comment

How this affects the *BSD systems as they use LLVM instead of GCC? AFAIR it was because of GPL 3 that they got stuck at a older version of gcc

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
              How this affects the *BSD systems as they use LLVM instead of GCC? AFAIR it was because of GPL 3 that they got stuck at a older version of gcc
              If they object to ASL2, they can always choose to hoist themselves on their own petard and keep using the latest non-ASL2 release of LLVM, just like they previously did by using the latest GPLv2 GCC.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                Shouldn't affect them. Apache 2.0 is a permissive opensource license. What they hate is the copyleft.

Comment

How about public domain? That's the simplest of all, one line and you're done.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    How about public domain? That's the simplest of all, one line and you're done.
                    Public domain doesn't exist in some countries...

Comment

Working...
                    X