Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 New Patches Allow OpenGL 4.5 For Radeon RX Vega

Phoronix: 61 New Patches Allow OpenGL 4.5 For Radeon RX Vega

Initial support for Radeon RX Vega support in Mesa landed for Mesa 17.1 at the end of March. However, this initial support was limited to OpenGL 3.1 while now patches have come to take Vega up to OpenGL 4.5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not sure if a lack of OpenGL 4.5 in Mesa 17.1 is actually relevant when non-headless support isn't going to come into AMDGPU until 4.13 (at the earliest) due to DC/DAL. By the time DC/DAL has been merged I'm pretty sure 17.2 will be out.

The mentioned LS-HS tessellation didn't sound familiar so I looked it up. Interestingly the first link was this article and the second was a U.S patent office filing. Reads like pretty standard hardware shading, but with the patent being filed as late as 2012, is this some new method of doing it?

Comment

@Michael, there seems to be a typo:
      these will also be back-ported to 7.1
      17.1?

Comment

Originally posted by Emdek View Post
        @Michael, there seems to be a typo:

17.1?
        nah man, AMD are going for super support now - just for all those people running the 2.4 kernels :P

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

nah man, AMD are going for super support now - just for all those people running the 2.4 kernels :P
          That's not AMD at all. AMD is the one that'll move GCN1 to legacy state soon, to boost Vega/RX 500 sales. You'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
            The mentioned LS-HS tessellation didn't sound familiar so I looked it up. Interestingly the first link was this article and the second was a U.S patent office filing. Reads like pretty standard hardware shading, but with the patent being filed as late as 2012, is this some new method of doing it?
            It's just radeon terminology for tessellation shaders. HS is the hull shader in DX11.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

That's not AMD at all. AMD is the one that'll move GCN1 to legacy state soon, to boost Vega/RX 500 sales. You'll see.
              Not gonna happen.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post

It's just radeon terminology for tessellation shaders. HS is the hull shader in DX11.
                Ok, so it was just a way of describing that I haven't seen before?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                  That could be hard, that release seems to predate even Gallium3D itself. :-P

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

I don't think so since the Radeon 520 is GCN 1 Southern Island hardware, maybe it's Oland/Hainan, so there's an GCN 1 part as the lowest spec part of the 500-series.
                    Also as an linux user what difference would it make if it would become legacy for open source driver users?
                    Last edited by Nille_kungen; 24 April 2017, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X