Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GrSecurity Kernel Patches Will No Longer Be Free To The Public

Phoronix: GrSecurity Kernel Patches Will No Longer Be Free To The Public

The GrSecurity initiative that hosts various out-of-tree patches to the mainline Linux kernel in order to enhance the security will no longer be available to non-paying users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd guess that this is because Grsec feels threatened by the Kernel Self Protection Project. That is a good thing -- a sign that mainline Linux is becoming competitive with them despite them never caring too much about giving back to project they're based on. Collaboration prevails.

Comment

Grr... who?

Comment

Grrrrrrr...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

cool! I've been waiting for this for so long

Comment

Do they also provide pre-compiled kernel images to "free" users? Because that's a violation of GPL. Also, AFAIK they can't prevent their customers from releasing the patches (since the patches themselves will be under GPL).

Comment

RIP GRSecurity.

Or more like GTFO and don't let the door hit ya.

Or maybe do. Just GTFO mainly.

Comment

Any subscribed customers could release the patches as they're required to distribute the source with any binaries…

Comment

Originally posted by lkundrak View Post
                  I'd guess that this is because Grsec feels threatened by the Kernel Self Protection Project. That is a good thing -- a sign that mainline Linux is becoming competitive with them despite them never caring too much about giving back to project they're based on. Collaboration prevails.
                  You mean upstream not accepting most of their changes? Because that's what happened in reality.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                    Do they also provide pre-compiled kernel images to "free" users?
                    Would be a bit hard to do, given that each distro has their own patched kernel.
                    AFAIK they can't prevent their customers from releasing the patches (since the patches themselves will be under GPL).
                    Correct. It is reasonable to assume that paying customers will not be very eager to share for free what they paid for.

I really hope there is some organization that steps in and does this chaperon duty though.

Comment

Working...
                    X