Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.25.1 Released

Phoronix: GNOME 3.25.1 Released

GNOME 3.25.1 is now available as the first development milestone in the road to this September's GNOME 3.26...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Am I the only one seeing a massive switch to Meson?

Comment

Things I would like to see:
      • Nautilus – File templates for common languages; HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, PHP, Ruby.
      • gjs – Support for JavaScript ES6 classes.
      • gnome-online-accounts (GOA) – Support for GitHub and GitLab as providers.
      • GNOME Builder – Support for building Snap packages. Canonical, where you at?
      • Epiphany (Web) – A package that adds Google Maps, Keep, Calendar, Gmail, etc in application mode.
      • gnome-shell – Kill those hideous rounded corners at the top panel.
      • Cheese – Some impressive filters with facial recognition like Snapchat. Not just basic color distortions.
      • Glade – Fix the bugs that make it crash. Fix the bugs that make it slow down the computer.
      • GIMP – Port this to GTK3 already. Uhm, or GTK4.
      • Yelp – White-on-black for content when using global dark theme.
      • Pango – Support for emoji with colors.

Comment

• Files – make removing files faster. It's up to ten times slower than Dolphin and provide Split view feature.
        • gnome-shell – fix huge memory leaks.

Last edited by Guest; 29 April 2017, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Lets address some of these
          • Nautilus – File templates for common languages; HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, PHP, Ruby.

Nautilus does have support for file templates, the package just doesn't come with any installed. The distros are supposed to ship with templates in the template folder, which makes sense to me although I know others don't agree

There was a blog post today about GJS that you might be interested in looking at, just drop by Planet Gnome.

• Epiphany (Web) – A package that adds Google Maps, Keep, Calendar, Gmail, etc in application mode.
          • Glade – Fix the bugs that make it crash. Fix the bugs that make it slow down the computer.

I agree with all those ones

Probably doesn't need saying that it's not a true Gnome project and they work by their own schedule. Either way, GTK3 is scheduled for the 3.0 version and is pretty much the only thing scheduled for that version. We still have to get 2.10 out of the way first though, and that's still got a lot of open bugs

The rest of your points are things I couldn't care less if they did or didn't do.
          Last edited by SpyroRyder; 29 April 2017, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            • GNOME Builder – Support for building Snap packages. Canonical, where you at?
            • Cheese – Some impressive filters with facial recognition like Snapchat. Not just basic color distortions.
            • Yelp – White-on-black for content when using global dark theme.
            • Pango – Support for emoji with colors.

Regarding a few of your points.

nautilus:
            This would only be useful for a handful of people, not everyone is a software/web developer. You could always make the folder your self.

gjs:
            Welcome back to the latest news on GJS, the Javascript engine that powers GNOME Shell, Endless OS, Polari, GNOME Documents, and many other apps. GNOME 3.24 has been released for about three weeks n…

In my last post, I went into detail about all the new stuff that GJS brought to GNOME 3.24. Now, it’s time to talk about the near future: what GJS will bring to GNOME 3.26. Javascript engine …

gnome-online-accounts:
            More email providers would also be nice, especially generic *dav support. It sort of works but only if you add it via Evolution or GNOME calendar and even then may or may not....

gnome-shell:
            I would say performance is more important, then again I actually like the corners.

Sold points overall

Comment

Is this issue considered too hard by the GNOME people to address? https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154

Comment

GNOME is going from strength to strength. Congratulations also on becoming the standard desktop of Enterprise Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                  GNOME is going from strength to strength. Congratulations also on becoming the standard desktop of Enterprise Linux.
                  Too bad it's unusable for many people. Gnome devs didn't bother to fix memory leaks since years. Gnome shell takes 200 MB and keeps growing!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Octus View Post
                    nautilus:
                    This would only be useful for a handful of people, not everyone is a software/web developer. You could always make the folder your self.
                    True. But it could be in a optional extra package, such as nautilus-templates.

So it is they went from SpiderMonkey 24 to 38, so still no ES6 class support since that is in version 45.
                    I don't understand why they moved to SpiderMonkey 38 instead of 45 or 52 which are also ESR.

Originally posted by Mr. Octus View Post
                    gnome-shell:
                    I would say performance is more important, then again I actually like the corners.
                    Yes, clicking the "Show Applications" ::: button feels sluggish. The animation takes too long time.
                    But Windows 8 had this fullscreen dash idea and people hated it so much that Microsoft reintroduced the start menu in Windows 10.

Comment

Working...
                    X