Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Kirigami 2.1 Released To Help Build Convergent Linux Apps

Phoronix: KDE Kirigami 2.1 Released To Help Build Convergent Linux Apps

While convergence may be dead at Ubuntu/Canonical, KDE developers continue working on Plasma Mobile and their convergence vision driven in part by the Kirigami user-interface framework...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And on top of that kirigami badly hurts KDE Apps on Android that feel out of place by using kirigami bullshit instead of material design

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      icon managfement improved,

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
        Just because you pick a marketing friendly name like Kirigami doesn't mean you can escape reality. There is no market, there is growth, there is no need.
        Please, just stop this KDE/Qt bashing. You are repeating yourself every time. There is nothing new in your postings. I think, everybody knows your opinion.
        Don't make this personal, because Unity 8 failed...
        Last edited by Steffo; 29 April 2017, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Just because you pick a marketing friendly name like GNOME doesn't mean you can escape reality. There is no market outside of businness distros that use the classic mode anyway, there is growth, there is no need.
          Fixed.

Comment

This is about KDE in particular because I don't understand Kirigami and mobile in general. Endeavors different from Kirigami failed. Repeating a failure or equal or worse isn't a given.

Look at Nokia, Ubuntu, Jolla.. and notice how they are not frameworks for apps running on the de-facto standard (i.e. Android) but full userspaces in most cases not compatible with Android apps (jolla excluded for this last point).

This will go nowhere, even if you tried with deeper pocket and better frameworks, because I, Griffin, phoronix forum resident GNOME fanboi said so.
            fixed.

Comment

To be fair, I agree and whether this was a GNOME project or a KDE one, the outcome would be the same. Failure.
              No-one wants to tie themselves into big frameworks, especially ones as flippant and volatile as Linux desktop platforms who's average lifespan is shorter than a Debian release cycle.

Lets keep with boring things like C / Gtk+ and C++ / Qt until something a bit more permanent comes along please

Comment

It would be cool if Kirigami was used by KDE apps. So I could use Okular on my Android.

So, there is a place for Kirigami — it is, at least, a possibility to get KDE apps to a wider audience.

Comment

Starship, tone it down a bit please. You are right though, Kirigami will not go down like the big burning platforms, it will fade to oblivion just like Sashlik.
                  Still not understanding what Kirigami is, I see.
                  Sashlik is an "android on Linux Desktop" emulator to run Android apps on a PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                    It would be cool if Kirigami was used by KDE apps. So I could use Okular on my Android.

So, there is a place for Kirigami — it is, at least, a possibility to get KDE apps to a wider audience.
                    Nothing is really stopping anyone from writing new UIs for older KDE apps using Kirigami, it just requires the manpower to do it - that is how Discover got ported, at least.

Still not understanding what Kirigami is, I see.
                    Sashlik is an "android on Linux Desktop" emulator to run Android apps on a PC.
                    Not to defend a troll, but Shashlik is (sadly) DOA. No activity on github in the last year. Other projects are taking over.

If anything, Android's adoption of OpenJDK is going to eventually make it easier to run Android apps on a desktop toolchain. Google is bringing Android closer to desktop Linux on their end rather than desktop Linux trying to become compatible with their stack.

Comment

Working...
                    X